Trial versions

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Strykstar • Aug 8, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use any software's trial version as a permanent solution?
    Many trial versions have lots of the features of the full versions except a few tiny ones and are completely free!
    I know for example WinRAR let's you use the trial version indefinitely and I'm not even sure what the full version adds.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use WinRAR's free trial indefinitely, too. Otherwise, I do the same thing for Advanced Systemcare, although I'm considering buying the premium version because that software is invaluable. I usually buy the full version of software otherwise, though. Some programs just aren't the same, even if they offer an indefinite, free version of the software. I'd rather have full functionality in most cases rather than having to deal with limited functionality. It really depends upon what program we're talking about, and each one is a different situation.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of free software (some trials some totally free). Like Foxitreader (PDF reader/editor), I've been using it for years without the need for any upgrade. Same with Screenhunter (screen capture software), I think there's a "full" version of this software but the free one is just enough for my needs. I usually find the need to upgrade when it comes to image editing software, security software and some file converting software. :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For software whose trial version does a good job then I wouldn't want to upgrade unless the trial period expires. I've used software that lets you use the full version for a number of days which range from 10-30 after which you'd have to pay for the software. For those I can use them for the trial period and try to find other replacements later if I didn't like them that much.

For those the lock certain features [which may not be that important to me] I'd use that trial version for a long time. Why pay for the software if it already does what you need it for?

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from Winrar and Malware Bytes, I always use the software that can be downloaded for free if it does the job well. Why pay for the pro or full version when I am content with the basic services that they offer right? And let's not forget the torrents and the cracked versions of various software out there. The world wide web is full of free stuff, if you just look around, you won't pay for anything.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For companies that create better software than the competitors, though, I'd rather give them my money to help ensure that they continue to make great software. I don't want to stiff a software developer just to save a few bucks, assuming that particular program is affordably priced and offers a great value for most users. I won't torrent or illegally download most software, either. If you absolutely don't want to spend money on premium software, then there are tons of ways around that. However, I'll reward the better companies with some hard earned money.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    WinRar is the one that comes to mind. I've been using it as my choice archiver for years now but I've never bought a license. Still, those pop up messages that tell me to upgrade are a bit annoying. Another piece of software that I never payed for is my antivirus. I'm using Avast atm, but the free version. The options they offer for the payed versions are cool and all but you don't really need them if you know how to browse safely and never install shady software.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Well but torrents and cracked version are piracy, which is a completely different discussion altogether,you don't need trial or free versions there, you just get the full version.
    I really don't like doing that kind of thing but if it works for you...

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah WinRAR is probably the best trial software out there. It always tells me that my trial is about to expire and yet I've been using it for 3 years after my first installation. But for the most part some trial softwares are really ludicrous specially those that let's you use just a little bit of the software so I much prefer those that give you 30 days or something to try the product out.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use WinRAR, too. I don't really feel the need to pay for it and I don't use it all that often either.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Besides Winrar, I only use Avast and Malwarebytes. Other than that, I don't think I have come across a trial software that is as valuable as a full version.

12. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I use a Norton and WinRar as a trail version all the time. Every time the trail ends, all I do is uninstall and reinstall it using a different email address. The trail versions are a lot like the full version so I do not see anything wrong with steady using the trail verson. It's a lot cheaper.

13. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to avoid buying full products as I know that if I start buying them, there are too many products to buy. My wallet will be emptied before I know. So trial version is the only option I have got except in few circumstances.