Trimming Your Own Hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Diane Lane • Jun 13, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my own hair for several years now. I just don't have money for 'extras' like haircuts right now, and if I mess it up too badly, a friend will even out the back for me, since that's the hardest part for me to reach. I've been using eyebrow razors to manage my bangs and the tapered sides/front of my hair, but it sometimes takes a while to do, since they're so small. I did a search on eBay recently and found and ordered a razor comb. It looks like a comb, but it has a razor in it, and you can trim your hair and also thin it out, using the comb. It arrived the other day, much sooner than I had anticipated, and I used it over the weekend. I gave myself a little trim to test drive it, and I'm happy with the results.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've done this for years as well and I guess the biggest drawback for me is that sometimes I'll end up with a less than stellar cut if I happen to trim on a wrong day where I might not be in a completely right mood for it. For the most part though I think the small difference is unnoticeable and it's probably just mostly me that will notice it. Still isn't the same quality as getting it done by a professional I guess but for just a small trim I think I'm fine with it.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I cut my own bangs every few months. I get my hair cut twice a year. When I go I get it cut about shoulder length and then just let it grow for 6 months. As my bangs get too long I trim them myself and then when I can't stand how long my hair is I'll get my hair cut. My hair dresser is actually impressed with how straight I'm able to cut my own bangs. I think I've saved quite a bit by doing this. I used to trim my husband's hair as well. He had longer curly hair and it was very forgiving with the curls if you didn't get it just right. I don't think I'm skilled enough to cut all my hair but I do have guy friends who use clippers and are able to do their own hair and their sons.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our family too is on a very tight budget and I cut my Mom's hair and my Mom cuts my hair. I bought those connect to the vacuum cleaner to cut hair too and got that comb hair trimmer too and I like that a lot too. It saves a lot of money and you can get the custom hair cut you always like to get too!

5. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I too haven't had a professional hair cut in ages. My mother usually trims my hair for me and it comes out pretty well. Thanks to her, I haven't had to spend money on haircuts. I should probably learn to do it myself though lol. I'm trying to grow my hair long enough to where I can sit on it and it's waist-length now so I really don't see myself needing to get a real haircut anytime soon.

6. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have always thought about getting a hair trimmer but have not done it yet. I hardly go get my hair cut. Most of the time I would also cut my bangs if they get too long. Other times I would get it cut by a friend of a friend of mine who is a hair dresser. The price that she demands is way cheaper than at a hair salon. I would like to have a nicer hair cut but just don't have the time or money for it. I have to cut my son's hair a lot because it grows so fast. He is 5 and his bangs are always hanging in his face. Therefore, getting a hair trimmer would make so much sense especially for cutting my kids hair.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried it and let's just say that's the end of my hair care career. It was truly a disaster and i end up going to the nearest salon to fix my mess. Oh well at least i tried.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I have been cutting my hair for several years, now. And since the blunt bob is back in style it makes an easy style to cut. I miss going to the salon, however I don't miss what I used to pay them

9. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't trim my hair that's growing on my head. That's kind of very uneasy and inconvenient to me. I prefer going to the barber. However, I can easily shave it off from all the other areas.

10. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I'm not dating enough to do all of my hair, and stick with just squaring up my sideburns. Whenever I do need a haircut, I go to the barber on a wednesday because he gives a student discount every wednesday of around 25% off. I do tend to let it get longer than I am happy with waiting just because I hate spending the money, but having a haircut you're happy with is almost always worth the money.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've been doing it for years because I went to cosmetology school (didn't finish:( ... 'cause I decided to get a degree instead) so my shears were fairly new and I liked the way they cut hair. After 20+ years, we parted ways and now I wish I'd taken time to get them professionally sharpened. Got some other brand from TJ Maxx but these aren't quite the same. My hair is just unpredictable but it grows every time I trim it myself.

Oh yeah...I once had a person who nearly cut me bald when I supposedly needed a "trim".

12. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    The idea of trimming your own hairs depends on one thing? Are you a male or a female? If you are a female with long hair, trimming it can be easy because you don’t need to worry much about style and other things. But if you are a male with short and cropped hair, cutting your own hair can turn into a disaster you will soon regret. Lol.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't trim my own hair. I'm very uncoordinated when it comes to doing things in straight lines, so I would chop my hair all off in zig zag, if you leave it to me !

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This would be great if I had the confidence to do so! Kudos to you for being able to, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane! It must save you so much money. For stuff like hair trimming and hair cuts, I absolutely have to engage an expert. But there are certain things I sometimes do at home. For instance, I can braid my own hair and give myself a treatment like a hot oil treatment. I can sort of blow dry it and straighten it myself too. Of course not as well as my hairdresser does it, but it's passable. But I can't do much else.

15. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've cut my own hair for years. Its far cheaper to cut it myself than to spend £50+ getting it done professionally somewhere. The only time I had it done professionally was before a job interview about 4 years ago. Since then I haven't paid for anyone to do it for me. My hair is quite long though which I suppose makes it easier to cut myself as I can see what I'm doing. I don't generally straighten my hair, but I will blow dry it. I find that my hair can be straightened fairly easily just depending on the shampoo or conditioner I use. The one I usually use leaves it wavy but I have another that somehow leaves it mostly straight. So even styling it, I just rely on products to do it for me!

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every little bit helps @Lushlala@Lushlala, and I know those services can be quite costly, as well. My hair has a little wave to it, so it's not as obvious that it's probably not quite as even on both sides as it would be if a professional had cut it, but then again, I'm home most of the time anyway.

I still have curling irons and straighteners and blow dryers here at the house, but I rarely use them anymore. The condition of my hair has probably improved because of that. I've never paid for a professional coloring, preferring to do that on my own at home, since it's so much less expensive.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every little does help a lot, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane! You are lucky you can do those little bits yourself because otherwise you'd be spending a small fortune on a monthly basis, getting touch ups. I'm also grateful for the little I know how to do, and have even learnt how to braid my own hair, even if it means it can take me up to 3 days when I could get it done by someone else within a few hours. It's amazing what stuff you can learn to do yourself when you're short of a few bob!

I'm also glad that I have an amazing hairdresser who isn't all about grabbing all the money he can get. He actually encourages me to cut right back on the chemical treatments designed to tame my coarse, wild hair. There used to be a time in my life when I'd get a re-touch every two months. He insists my hair doesn't need it and has encouraged me to cut right back to 2-3 times a year. -and you know what? My hair is a lot healthier for it too!

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a pretty simple hairstyle, so I just cut it a bit layered, and I don't really care at all if the finished product is less than perfect, since my hairstyle is layered to begin with, so it's all good. I'm not very fussy with my hair anyway.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had posted in another thread that we dye our own hair - my husband dyes my hair and I dye his.But we cannot stretch our frugality with cutting our own hair. It's not really the fashion, it's just that we don't have the aptitude for that art of styling the hair. You can see in my avatar that I sport a short hair but it's not easy to cut. My husband wouldn't do it for me and likewise, I wouldn't cut his hair either.

20. katjamas

katjamasNew Member

Threads:
    As long as you have some proper hair cutting scissors it is completely fine to cut your own hair, because it saves a lot of money and if you are satisfied with the result, then why not? But if you cut with lets say kitchen or paper scissors then you will damage your hair and will probably have to cut it more and more often.