Troubleshooting Internet Problems

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Feb 21, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been having a lot of problems with my internet lately but I'm having trouble pinpointing whether the problem is coming from my router or my internet. I have a suspicion that it is both, to be honest, but whenever I get a dropped connection I just reset everything and recently I've even needed to do a few hard resets on my router which is becoming a big pain since I have to restore each detail including passwords and security each time.

Do you guys think I should upgrade my router or my internet or both? Should I complain to my internet provider instead?

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    You should complain first to your Internet Provider to see if your internet problems are cause by their upgrades in network cables or any under upgrades and maintenance from their side. I'm certain that they will give you some intructions about your internet problems. If everything is ok in the ISP thats the timevthat you checked you router, cables or any other peripherals that may or can affect your internet connection.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely contact your ISP first. It sounds like the issue is on their end. Perhaps the connection to your home is faulty in some way. Depending on the age and features of your router, you might consider upgrading that just because, too. I'm going to bet that your ISP is causing you connection problems rather than the router, though. Even a crappy router can keep the connection going when it's available.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would contact the ISP provider or you could check if you have a smartphone whether wi-fi is connected and if there are any issues. When mine drops I know it's because of the poor signal I have at my parents house. You should ask if any other neighbors have the same issues, if not then it may be a router issue.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I would first try to disconnect from the wifi router and just plug in the internet cable directly to your computer and see if it has any problems, if it's working just fine then it's your router. To be honest it's hard to pinpoint the problem especially when you're using a router. You've mentioned resetting your router fixes the problem so I'm guessing it is the problem but contact your ISP first before you buy anything.

6. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Have you contacted your ISP yet? It's probably your best bet. I would say it's the router but there's really not that much detail to work with here. If resetting your router fixes it for a while then it's probably the router otherwise contact your ISP since your paying for their service.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should actually describe the problem first, that would help troubleshooting it the most... :x