Try on clothes vs not?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mayvin • Jul 23, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that when clothes shopping I need to try on my clothes to make sure they fit and look right or I most often won't buy them. I have bought clothes without trying them on and when got them home they didn't look right.I don't even like shopping at places that don't have dressing rooms for that reason. Do you buy clothes right off the rack without trying them on or do you like to try on to make sure it fits properly?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a rather off shaped body so I HAVE to try things on because most of the time they don't fit me right anyway, I don't order things online because if they don't fit then I own't bother sending them back and I do this with clothes I've bought in shops with no changing rooms, I won't take them back for a refund. My girlfriend only goes clothes shopping with me because she makes me stand in front of the curtain as she is afraid someone will come in. :)

3. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Always best to try on before buying, because if they don't fit properly
    you can get a different size right away.

4. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    Depends on what you're buying and how much it is, when I buy something on clearance, I usually don't bother trying it on. However, when I buy something full price and it's expensive, I have to make sure it looks good. Another good tip, I always try on jeans and dresses, even if it looks like its going to fit you, with jeans it's hard to tell, they need to be perfect otherwise, there is no point in buying them.

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I didn't have to try on things, because I generally don't like the whole trying on process. But it's been a real long time since I bought new clothes. So I would have to try a few things on at least, to see how they fit on me. I wish I was one of those people who could just grab stuff and go, but I end up getting a closet full of thing that don't fit by doing that.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never try on clothes because none of the sizes sold can fit me. Hunting for the perfect size for me therefore would be a waste of time. To save time I simply grab any of the clothes which I feel are closest to my size and have someone [who lives with me and is great on the sewing machine] resize them for me.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always try on clothes before buying them. Why? Although many stores sell the same size, they are cut differently. So, a size 12 isn't the same at Macy's as it is in Walmart.

My experience is the cheaper the store, the smaller the cut. I guess if you're rich, you get the luxury of believing you're a size 12 when you're really a size 14 every where else.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use to be someone who didn't try on clothes in the stores. This ended as I was tired of having to always take back clothing that didn't fit. Now I do try on clothing in stores, especially pants. Sometimes I think a certain size will fit me until I go home and realize it's either too large or too tight feeling around my thigh area. I say try on the clothes in the stores. It will save you gas and another trip back to the store in case you are letdown.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I despise trying clothes on, but have to because I am oddly proportioned so most off the rack items don't fit me and I need to decide if the alterations are worth it. I generally still don't try most of my purchases on, when I don't it ends up in wasted money or time. I rarely if ever get back to the store to return something and if I do it just adds an errand on to my day that I could have easily avoided.

10. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    If its just a simple T-shirt then no, I don't usually try it on because I have a pretty good idea of what size I need and how it will fit. If its a dressier shirt then yes, I will try it on because those fit so differently on each person and I want to make sure its going to look good on me before buying it. Jeans and shorts are a no-brainer. I ALWAYS try those on if at all possible. Jeans are so finicky. There are so many times I have tried on a pair of jeans and felt they looked good so I would buy two without trying on the second pair. Without fail, the second pair would not fit. Never mind that its the same style, size, and brand. I learned my lesson though and always try on every pair of jeans I plan to buy.

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I always try them on because I don't have a "standard" body shape. I'm really short, plus size and pear shaped. Most plus size clothes are made with a taller more proportional model in mind. I could wear different sizes depending on the style and cut and the fabric. For example I have too jeans from the same store and style, one blue, one black and I had to go a size down for the black because the material was more stretchy than the blue.

With time I've learned what works for me best so that what I take to the fitting room usually fits, but still there's so much things you can't predict about fit and I would rather spend more time at the store than have to come back to return merchandise, or worse yet buy something, never wear it and then realize after it's too lake that I don't like how it fits.

12. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    If you are shopping online, you should know your size well. In a ohysical store, it is always a better option to try on the cloths so that you get an idea whether you look good in them or not.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For me trying out clothes is really important, so I always do try to fit the clothes and the shoes that I buy making sure that it fits well to me and that it's comfortable to wear. It's important that I must be able to feel the fell of wearing it before I actually let go my money in exchange for that.

14. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    If it is a brand that I've bought before, and I am familiar with the fit, I won't try it on. If it is a brand I've never worn before, then I try it on. Although, I always have to try on jeans because those are trickier for me. If they fit me around the waist, they might be too wide at the hips and vice versa.

15. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    If it is a brand that a buy frequently, I can be pretty confident in what size I buy fitting. Otherwise, I have to try my clothes on because I have a very uncommon body type, so most clothes will fit awkwardly right off the rack ( and looking good in your clothes is all about getting the right fit I have learned), so now most of my time clothes shopping is spent trying on clothes.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't come across many places that don't have dressing rooms. Even at market stalls, people hang up some curtains behind which you can try on clothes and usually see how they fit in a mirror. I have never bought any clothes that I couldn't try on first. It's simply too much trouble to take them home and find out that they are the wrong size.

17. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I don't recall buying any apparel right off the rack. I have a habit of trying on everything first before buying (to save money, effort and time for returns). I have a weird body that cannot be paired with just any style. I'm really slim but my waistline is larger than my bust. I am overly cautious about my body image and I don't like my flabs too obvious on my outfit so I pick clothes that are really loose.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always thought it was important to try on clothes before I bought them, but lately I have been buying clothes and shoes online a lot, and I have been surprised at how well they usually fit. It's very rare that I have to return something. The only thing that it's absolutely essential to try on are pants and jeans. Those are very hard to buy without trying on.

19. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    T-shirts I can buy without trying on. Over the years I learned how to properly measure them with my eyes so I always know what I'm buying. But for other, more expensive pieces of clothing, I always try before buying. Why risk and pay good money only to find that the clothes don't fit me?

20. maddie619

maddie619New Member

Threads:
    Personally, I like to try on clothes before I buy them. It's also a necessity for myself because my body is a little oddly shaped. When I don't try on clothes in the store I usually regret it and I end up returning it. At the time it always seems like such a hassle to trek all the way to the fitting room just to try on one garment, but if it's expensive then you sort of have to. Especially if you're one of those people who never returns anything, you're just wasting your time and money when you don't try on clothes. This mostly applies to me because I have to try on so many sizes but I would recommend everyone try on clothes because even if you do return it, you have to make 2 stops at the store and not just 1 that might take a tad longer. For a busy person like myself 1 stop at the store is a lot more appealing.