Trying New Dishes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by kitkat0124 • Oct 15, 2015.

1. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I love eating. I like thai food, chinese, italian and german. I'm always open in trying different dishes specially if I'm in other countries. I love exploring even in foods. On the other hand, I know some people who don't like to try other food other than the one they are used to. Are you guys the type of person who wants to try different foods or you always eat the food you are used to?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love Thai food, followed by Mexican American and Cajun. Heat does something to me but I like different spices also. Before I leave the planet, I'd like to try Vietnamese, Ethiopian and Korean cuisine.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Late last month, we were in Vietnam for a holiday vacation. There were Japanese food and continental dishes but our first meal was in Pho-24, an authentic Vietnamese eatery, the cheap one but decent. We had their noodles with beef and vegetables. I also ordered spring roll. For dinner, we went to a classy restaurant and had the rice meal which also has a lot of vegetable garnishings. It's nice to sample foreign dishes native to the place. Next week I will be in Hongkong so expect me to eat Chinese dishes.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got to admit that I am a person of habit when it comes to food. I saw the commercial for Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern, no thanks. I like to find new veggies and fruits like dragon fruit dried crystals that I didn't know existed until I looked up a strange red fruit I saw at Chinatown. I'm choosy about new things to eat or drink.
    dragon-fruit.JPG
    (image from:

10/16/2015.)

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love food and will try something at least once, just as long as I don't find it disgusting to look at LOL Admittedly, I do tend to stick to my favourite dishes once I've identified them. I'm one of those annoying people who'll have the same thing each time I eat out. But I eat all sorts and love different cuisines from Chinese, to Italian, to Caribbean right through to West African food.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I'm a pretty adventurous eater. I love all different kinds of cuisine. I'll try anything once and give it an honest taste. If I don't like it that's it I won't try it again. But I have a pretty wide birth in what I'll eat and what I like to eat. For me it's about textures and flavours. I grew up eating chicken and duck's feet. I've had crocodile and frog's legs. I love curries and stir fries. The only food that I haven't tried yet that my husband has tried is a goat roti.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm generally open to trying new dishes, but my one caveat is that I at least know what I am eating first - I'm not big on surprises, such as something being insanely hot, or finding out there were some really gross ingredients in the dish.

A recent episode of Chopped for example, had them eating a pigs rectum. I'm sorry, but I would have to pass on that one. Another time, I ordered "sweet breads" on a menu at a restaurant thinking they were some sort of fried dough or fritter, only to find out they were organ meats, usually the pancreas or thymus gland. I almost threw up when I found out what they were. Though it explained why nobody else at my table wanted to try any of them - they apparently knew exactly what they were.

I also want to know in advance if a dish is really hot. I don't mind trying out hot and spicy foods, but I tend to eat fast and take large bites of stuff, and if something is over the top hot, I won't be able to handle that. I'll eat it more slowly and cautiously instead.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend tries to get me to try new food, but I don't really like trying thing other than what I am used to. I just don't know if I am going to get sick so I am not much of an adventurous eater. I wish I could be a person who can just try anything on a whim!

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just stick with what I'm used to, especially if I'm on a budget, since I usually have a certain set I know I can depend on when the budget is tight. Some dishes I can stretch out to multiple meals and it's actually fun for me to find these, so I can't say I don't try and discover either since at some point I had to take a leap to actually come across these now regular dishes I frequent. I only do it during times when I'm more loose though and I just simply make a note of it if I liked it in particular and if I felt I could integrate it with my cheapskate menu for whenever I need it.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not that type of person , for the simple fact that I am actually afraid to prepare new stuff. I guess I kind of got traumatized when I tried some stuff in college and ended up having to throw the whole thing away. Such a waste of money and my time! I will often now try some stuff when I really want to try them and they are easy. Often I have success, but only because those are very simple recipes, I don't go for the more more complex stuff!

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will often try new dishes and new cuisines. To me that is half the fun of eating out. I like to vary where I eat and the dishes I eat. I just think it is good to eat and enjoy a variety of foods and broaden your horizons when it comes to eating. It is a good way to understand a bit more about an ethnicity I think.

#11Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015