Trying New Fruits

Discussion in Food & Drink started by lizzief79 • Nov 16, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    How often do you try a new fruit?
    The temptation is to buy the same fruits every week as you know they will get eaten. Typically, I buy bananas and apples for this reason. Occasionally, I will try soething new though. Yesterday, I was shopping at the supermarket when I saw a fruit called persimmon on offer. I had never heard of this fruit before. It kind of looks like a cross beteen a sharon fruit, a mango and an orange. Taste wise, it is most like a mango.

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't try new fruits very often, but I would love to if they were available. I have had just about every fruit that is grown in my country. We have many types of mango, many types of banana, many types of pineapple, oranges, guava, clementines, soursop, sweetsop, watermelon, papaya, and a few other fruits that I only know the local names for. I have also tried a good number of the imported fruits such as apples, pears, and minneolas. I would love to try a few others like kumquat, pomegranate, and persimmon, but they are just too expensive. If persimmons ever go on sale, I will give them a try. If it tastes like a mango, I am sure that I will love it.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not very often just because my store doesn't seem to have a huge variety, but I have bought things just to see how they were, haven't really found anything I like yet though.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely get an opportunity to try out new fruits because I typically enjoy what I have on the table. Generally, though, I enjoy almost all the fruits, so there's not much reason that I'd just jump on to the other just to have a taste of something new. But also because I am not a picky eater of fruits, any of it, though I might be kind of unfamiliar of it, I would still be willing to try it, unlike with meats, which most likely I would feel wary giving it a taste.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind trying new fruits and when I can, I do. That's if I travel out of town. Where I live, most stores would rather not experiment [selling fruits the residents have never seen or tasted] because most of the folks here hate anything they are unfamiliar with and new fruits would fall in that category. At least that's my way of explaining the absence of fancy new fruits from the stores.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been living in Latin America for a few months now, and they have fruits here that I have never seen or heard of before in my life. I have really grown fond of granadillas, mangosteens, grosellas and ujuvas. There are so many more to explore. Also, it's the first time that I am eating plantains, yucca and other exotic vegetables for the first time. Whenever I try something new, I introduce it slowly into my diet, so as to avoid any undesirable side effects.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason why I am hesitant on any new food would be due to food allergies. There are things that I wouldn't mind trying, but I know that the reaction has the potential to be so strong that I'll just stick with the tried and true, unless the preparation just seems to be too much to resist.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Persimmon is actually a beloved fruit in Korea, Japan and China. As recorded in history, most East Asian royals loved to chew on dried persimmon and were poisoned through such fruit. There are a number of weird fruits I'd like to try myself. I already tried eating Dragon fruit and it's not so bad. I was able to taste Kiwi before but it's hardly available in our local supermarkets.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried it but want to eat one of those "miracle fruit!" When a human eats one of these miracle fruit, it affects the tongue of that individual, so anything he/she eats or drinks for the next 30 minutes will taste sweet! I wish to try the African Ackee fruit, which I read that one can only eat the brainy yellow inside. Jabuticaba is a well known South American fruit used in wines and liquors, which I would like to eat once but I don't know where to find them. I've eaten Durian fruit before, and yes, the smell is terrible but the meat of the fruit is really good!

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here it's the same fruit over and over again, my dad buys bananas and nothing else. We aren't fruit lovers to begin with, so if he buys other fruit like oranges or apples then it will be mostly consumed by him only. Mangoes are a favorite though.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not very adventurous when it comes to fruit because I'm honestly not that much of a fruit fan to begin with. I already don't eat as much as I should when it comes to the traditional ones like oranges and bananas, so I tend not to experiment and discover further. I would give them a try if it were presented in front of me, though, provided that they at least look and smell nice.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't try new fruits very often- especially when you consider that I try new foods and new recipes quite often, but just not new fruits very much. I see plenty of them in the supermarket and farmer's markets that I'd like to try though.