Trying Out Cheaper Brands Is Not Bad As It Seemed

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Beast_Titan • Jan 21, 2018.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Due to inflation my favorite brand of canned tuna became pricier. I want to have more cans of tuna so I opted for a more cheaper brand? Guess what, the cheaper Tuna Brand is not as bad as it seemed. It is actually good. I know many people here have brand loyalty but sometimes betraying that loyalty will save you money.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    What brand was the more expensive one and what brand was the cheaper one? If the taste and quality is the same then it is just right to buy the cheaper brand so that you can save money.

3. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to loyalty in this case, it really doesn't matter. If a certain brand is willing let its prices rise or stay the same while there are cheaper alternatives, well then it's their own fault. At the end of the day, the money matters. I would have no problem buying cheaper alternatives if they are just as good as the more expensive brand. I encourage others to do the same. Plus there is no reason you can't have both, if you have enough money.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you'd like to save a lot of money, try store brands for it works; I know because I've compared and it's the same but like paying generic prices for the same thing. Window shop say about half an hour when you go to the store for your regular items so you can gauge prices and get the most cheapest price for your essentials. I like store brands it's most times less sugar for candies, good quality and less price too. We all love to save money and one way to save is buying store brands.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I also noticed that cheaper brands and less popular brands have high quality items just like expensive brands. I love saving and I always try a less known brand but I purchase a small sized container. So if I like it I purchase a bigger container next time. It is good to be open to different things since we gain experience and save money too.

6. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that I try to look at when picking brands of products that I want is whether it is going to serve me the way that I want it. That's the reason I don't really care when trying out cheaper brands of some products for it is going to give me almost the same satisfaction as buying the expensive one unless on few occasions.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Damn autocorrect.....

Back to the topic, Not all cheap brands are bad. Some of them just don't have the name recognition. Some popular brands decline in quality so they won't need to change prices while cheap unpopular brands stayed the same.

8. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. No name store brands are not that bad. I have also tried some no name brand products and they are more or less the same as the branded more expensive ones. With the exception of milk and yogurt (I am fiercely loyal to my favourite milk and yogurt brand :)), I can buy anything on this no name brand.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've been trying out store brands for a lot of products and many have turned out to be as good as the more popular brands. Store brands aren't always the cheapest products though. I buy a number of locally-produced goods that are even cheaper than store brands and have better quality, too. I don't mind trying the cheaper brands and some turn out to be better than the top, more expensive brands. Most brands are expensive because of factors that have nothing to do with taste or quality. I go for variety rather than brand loyalty.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it can take a while to get used to cheaper brands. When I first started to shop at Lidls I did not like the fact they did not sell my usual brands but after a while I began to like and appreciate some of the brands I had not heard of before. I now shop there weekly and find that the quality of their food is good and although there are certain brands I still like to get from other shops there are many I now buy at Lidls for half the price.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the price is not the guarantee of quality in all cases. I know number of same products sold by different stores at different prices so if a store/market/distributor selling any product at cheaper rates compared to other should not be surprising factor. Having said that, I also admit that some so-called cheaper products are not all that bad. I have just

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is good that we keep a vigil in the market for different brands which as you have rightly pointed out could be better and cheaper than the well known brands. Placing the well known brands in grooves as being the best is our mind set and that should change.

13. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    As far as canned tuna is concerned, the only thing I've noticed when I buy a cheaper brand is the actual amount in the can. The cheaper cans, even Kroger brand or Great Value, seem to have a little less, like it's packed down deeper into the can and it only looks as if half the can is full. But taste-wise, I really think they all taste the same. You're right. But if you're making a huge tuna casserole, you'll be needing a lot of tuna for that, so that's when I go for the jumbo cans whether they are name brand or not, the more the better. Nothing worse than a very dry, boring tuna casserole with too many noodles and not enough tuna.

14. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Some brands are just only names lately compared to the services they offer. I would give you a vivid background as to what I'm referring to. Here in my country, there is a milk brand called peak milk. It's one of the most popular tin milk around here, it's so popular that virtually all family prefer it first compared to other milk. But recently, they have gone down with the quality of the tin milk content. Other milk in the market offer better milk quality than peak milk. So it's not a bad thing to go for cheaper brands because I believe they seek to improve their customer base.

15. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care for brand loyalty. I seek the lowest prices for food/drink, so I will definitely buy cheaper stuff as long as the quality/taste isn't terrible. The quality of certain brand name food is exaggerated anyway. Nutella for example is extremely overpriced in my country, and doesn't even taste that good compared to other bands of cocoa spread. Furthermore, I try to support local manufacturers/producers as much as I can over buying foreign made food/drink.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    It can go both ways, really. There are cheaper brands that are better than the most expensive ones, but the opposite is also true. In this case, nothing like trying them out and to see if we like them, but I do agree that price is not an indicator for quality.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is not as a bad as what we expect it for it is cheap or cheaper compared to a quality or branded one. The difference lies only on the brand but the processing is almost the same. However, people are easy convinced for a quality if it is a branded product.

18. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    This is true in the sense that breaking out habit can be quite a big task and that's the reason most people still select a certain brand no matter how much it's gonna cost. However, it's great that you no's discover that some of these cheap brands can be of high quality as well.

19. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I gave up on buying branded items a long time ago and now I buy from cheaper brands and I have succeeded to save a lot of money and I do not refer only to food items, I refer to clothes, toys, and food items.

20. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well it's no surprise that some cheap brands can't stand their own and provide relatively decent quality for a great and cheap price.