Trying to save on a new guitar

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Animachine • May 13, 2012.

1. Animachine

AnimachineNew Member

Threads:
    I've been hoping to buy a new guitar for some time now. I know that buying one at a guitar store is out of the question, as it is out of my budget. I've also tried keeping an eye on craigslist, but there haven't been any nice guitars that I really liked for the right price. Does anyone know of a good place I can find some cheap deals on guitars?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Have you looked at Musician's Friend, Guitar Center or Crutchfield yet? All three of these websites offer good prices on all of their products. Musician's Friend used to even have free shipping. Guitar Center has killer sales on guitars a few times a year. It has been awhile since I looked at Crutchfield but they used to consistenly have great prices.

3. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Check out the local music stores in your neighborhood. You may find a really great deal on a quality guitar. Other than the Musician's Friend, you could try ebay. I purchased my 1987 Gibson Hummingbird on ebay.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried looking in a pawn shop? They tend to have pretty decent looking musical instruments.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Try to look for auctions in eBay, maybe you're lucky enough to find a great deal! :)

6. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    You should be able to find a good deal on ebay. You can also buy a second hand guitar from

. If you have musician friends, one of them may have an old guitar which they want to get rid of, which may just be in good condition.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you can find ads in local newspapers for musical equipment. In addition, you might be able to find Facebook groups and pages which are specifically about guitars, and better yet, guitar equipment. Finally, you could always post an offline or online ad saying you are looking for a good deal on a guitar.

Note, I am referring to equipment that is new because nobody has used it yet. Perhaps, the owner didn't like the make or model or simply bought it to resell it. However, of course, you can use these same methods to get what most people would call real used guitars.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know I went to a pawn shop to sell my Mom's ring. As I was waiting I saw her shop and she had musical instruments in her pawn shop. The person before me was looking at some ukuleles. I waited and looked into her glass cases which had beautiful jewelry, rather retro, but beautiful none the less. There is also amazon.com where sometimes the seller has free shipping too. Walmart.com surprisingly has almost everything with good shipping rates too. I know that target.com has a red card, that you can get free shipping on almost everything with your red card from target stores. I got my free Target re5d card, their credit card just as I was paying at the cashier. You get discount when you use your credit red card from Target and if you use it online you get free shipping "on almost everything". Sometimes you can find musical instruments at thrift shops too like Savers. Savers will send you alerts when you sign up for their Saver's Red Card that gives you a discount day too-ask your local Saver's on when your discount day is to use your Saver's Card to save even more money. Saver's has a Senior Discount Day too, so you can save even more money! Good luck in finding your guitar.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I find it confusing on the title of your post. I thought you were saving some money to buy a new guitar, but it has turned out to be that you are looking for a store which sells a cheap cost of guitar. That is why I have learned a lesson that I wouldn't react immediately to a post when I am not yet through reading it.

By the way, I would like to ask how do you know determine that a guitar is good or not. Are you an expert in determining it? Lately I bought a local guitar in one of the malls here in our capital city. I spent Php2,000.00 ($40 USD). There were so many guitars to select from the display. The make looks good. The strings are better. I have check the different metal on its fret to test how the string sounds when being pressed, if it sounds better or not. But most of all, I have to tune it to the guitar standard tuning. Then when I am satisfied, I have to buy it.

How's yours? Do you test it too? What is your basis of buying guitar?

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would go with Amazon, and I would guess you could find a new guitar or like new guitar on this site for a song as they say-also the variety might be interesting if you search long enough. I think sometimes people need to touch and play a guitar like they can at Guitar Center-but I think Amazon would be a great choice to really get a low price on a guitar though.