Turbo Tax and the like

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by delco • Apr 10, 2013.

1. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    Has anyone had any experience using Turbo Tax or programs like that? Is it worth it? Does it give you a better return than going to a real person?

2. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    I don't think it will give you a better return, but you will save money doing your own taxes. I've used Turbo Tax for several years. It is very self explanatory and user friendly. The great thing about tax programs like Turbo Tax or HRBlock is that you do not have to send the end results if you decide the program wasn't for you. In fact, last year I compared Turbo Tax, HRBlock, and e-file to see which one I liked better or if one gave better results. They all gave the same and I did not like e-file as much as the other two. The best part, it was free!!!

The best advice I can give you is to research all the tax credits you can find.

is really good about providing a lot of tips as well as explaining forms. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me. I'd be more than happy to help.

3. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about Turbo Tax is that they're in the business of making sure the tax codes are difficult. The IRS recently attempted to introduce a service where they would issue you a pre-filled out form which you could either sign or amend. The makers of Turbo Tax lobbied hard to kill it and succeeded. So, for that reason, they won't be getting my business.

4. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I don't pay anyone to do my taxes. I do them myself. Saves me money, and the possibility of getting audited. I don't think the word "Turbo", should be involved in anything that involves doing up a form properly to make sure the government doesn't come arrest you later on.

5. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I tried it this year but didn't like it at all. I ended up using H&R Block online software and got a lot better tax refund then what I would of gotten If I had used Turbo Tax. Some of my friends have told me they liked it alright and some didn't. I guess it all depends on what kind of tax return you are filing or something, I don't know. But I didn't like it.

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    That's true. Everyone has different income brackets, write off's, etc. So I guess if you are really pinched for time or have a tax cache where Turbo Tax comes in handy then go for it. Me? I prefer the old school method of doing my own taxes. It makes me feel all grown up and stuff I guess.;)

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people use turbo tax and the like to make it easier to get the chore done. I have done taxes both ways, it was quicker using the software which is the only reason I would use software.