Turn your Ipod Touch into a texting phone

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by happyrocinante • May 25, 2012.

1. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    My niece recently got an IPod Touch from her dad as a gift. We found an app that allows her to use her IPod to text! It is completely free the only problem that I read of was that you can only text other people who have the IPod Touch as well. It is an awesome app for my 15 year old niece! You can save some money if you have the app by avoiding all the data fees and overcharges. You just need to look for it under apps in the iTunes store.

2. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    What's it called? Sounds interesting.

3. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    My son has an Ipod Touch and it has the iMessage, which will allow you to text other users that have 'i' anything. The iPod Touch has Facetime on there as well, which will allow you to video chat as well.

4. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    The one that my niece downloaded was TextNow and it was free. Thanks Mrs. Rogers for telling me about the others available. I will have to tell her so she can pick which she likes better.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    What a great idea for an app! But what about signal, for instance? Can you use the app anywhere you are? Do you need to be connected to the internet (wifi, 3G, etc.)?

6. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    That's great. A question, though. Does the person you're sending a text to need to have the same app installed?

7. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    Yes, to both questions. You have to be connected to the internet for the app to work and both parties have to have the app downloaded.
    Here is a link telling you about TextNow along with the other options for IPod Touch. Hope this helps you!

8. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have an app just like this on my iPad. It comes in real handy especially when traveling outside the country, that you you do not have to pay for overseas texting.

9. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    The app I used was "Text Plus".

Worked beautifully for me. They give you a new number and you can text from your iPod Touch. It was a little confusing for my friends at first, but in the end it was simply easier for me to have two options.

Thus, if I forgot my phone, I could text from the iPod Touch.

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    This is really a great app but the problem is I dont have an Ipod Touch :( My mom has one the 3rd gen. Does this app supports all generations or it is only applicable on the latest generation of Itouch?

11. TylerC94

TylerC94New Member

Threads:
    This works but I believe you need a wifi connection whenever you want to text someone.

12. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    Wow that is a very interesting app! I will download it later and give it a try. My dad has an itouch and I own an iphone.. I hope it will work pretty well.

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    My sister uses the same premise, but with an app called TextFree for her iPod Touch where they give you a phone number, and anyone else with a device that's capable of text messaging can send texts to her and she can receive and reply back anywhere there's Wi-Fi. So far it's worked wonders for her and it's free because all the costs are covered through the little ad at the bottom of the screen.

14. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I just got a iPod Touch and I was disappointed that it didn't have a texting feature. I'll use this app to use it like a phone. Thanks for this tip it was very helpful.

15. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    There are actually other apps that allow you to text to other phones as well and it works great they give you a phone number and you can text all you want. The best app for me is textPlus its simple and free which makes it perfect for texting.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow thanks for sharing this information. This is the first time I've heard about this app. I do have an iPod Touch and yeah it would be great to use it for texting. I mean obviously i have a phone but it's still nice to know that this iPod touch text thing is there if ever i get issues with my phone. :p