Turning your home "Green"

Discussion in Home & Garden started by SierraW23 • Sep 26, 2013.

1. SierraW23

SierraW23New Member

Threads:
    I am learning more and more about the benefits of green living and I am interested in transitioning to a green lifestyle. To me, it just makes sense. Why wouldn't people want to help the environment out, that is in so much need of help? I read articles based on pollution and all these other factors contributing to the environment on a daily basis. I feel like I want to take the steps to help the planet out. How do you feel about green living? I also want to know if you are in transition or have transitioned and what are some of the good products out there that you recommend? Many people that live green lifestyles make their own cleaning products and so on and so forth. If you make your own products, what processes do you use to ensure that they are earth friendly?

2. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    The challenge is the costs and the return on investment. I looked into getting a tankless or solar water heater and the return on investment was like 15 years. When the average person moves every seven years you will not get your money back before you move. When I get into a home I plan to stay in I want to make it really green. Solar power, water and so forth. They also environmental insulation and things with the construction side. Technology is changing rapidly, so hopefully the prices will come down.

3. SierraW23

SierraW23New Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is a lot that goes into building a green home. I do believe they are on the rise due to people becoming more aware of the benefits of going green. Just this morning I saw an article on yahoo about the appalling amount of contaminated air on earth. I think that states need to make more efforts to help our environment out. I found a book on green living called Green Living by Design: The Practical Guide for Eco-Friendly Remodeling and Decorating with a lot of good information and tips from an architect who builds green homes. It tells you everything from the material used to build them to how much energy they can save and so on and so forth.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are a lot of little changes that can be made that make a much bigger difference than I originally considered. I stopped washing my clothes in hot water, for example, about five years ago. I also hung a clothes line. I still use my dryer, but not as often.

I got rid of the cleaners in my house and have made the switch to vinegar and water for almost everything. We have reusable grocery bags and I've been pretty consistent to buy my children's toys from consignment sales or thrift stores.

To me, it is all about the little things adding up, because I agree, we have a pretty big problem. But tackling it doesn't have to be as drastic as many people suggest. I get a lot of my ideas off

, actually. They have cool ideas, and by watching and reading things on the site, you earn points which you can redeem for gift cards and coupons.