Tv Streaming Or Tv Provider?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by FatAmy • Dec 6, 2015.

1. FatAmy

FatAmyNew Member

Threads:
    Which do you like more? Our household only has apps for our subscription with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and I think it's enough for us. We also save on our bills because it's only a few dollars more on top of the internet bill. But then, we're not getting local channels although I think that's easily remedied by getting an antenna.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think most people choose to stream because most television providers have long contracts which don't suit many people, especially those who rent. It also depends how often you use the services, to make it worthwhile. These days many people record shows, or there are so many re-runs you have o decide whether it's value for money.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still prefer cable a little but even though I know it's not that practical anymore, but mostly only because it's something I grew up with and I'm already very used to it. I still like the fact that I can just change channels and see different shows instead of having to actively click on one and consciously pick it as the one I will be watching at the moment. There is a sort of random element in switching channels that I find to be comfortable, unfortunately. However, admittedly I hardly watch tv anymore these days as I mostly just watch youtube content and live streams.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Streaming all the way. I haven't subscribed to a provider since I moved out of my parents' house, and I'm frankly amazed by how little I miss television. Everything I want to watch can be found online, and everything I don't want to watch seems to be on TV. My parents still have their subscription, and the amount of junk on their 300+ channels is almost stunning. I think I liked TV more when there were only 40ish channels and most of them showed at least moderately-good programming. Paying a premium for what's available now seems foolish when I can fork out, like, ten bucks each month to watch unlimited Netflix on a laptop.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For a long time I used my app and subscription to Netflix. I live with my daughter who recently got the cable on the tv's. I don't really look at that much more than I did without the cable as you can see most of everything online.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably would be streaming if I had an unlimited internet connection however, I am limited as to my connection so I am with a provider. if you can get phone, internet and tv in low cost bundle package it would be ok, however, I think once I get a broadband connection I will end up streaming for the affordability.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have taken twice Netflix offer, but having so many entertainment available, I don't find entertaining anything of what TV providers or TV streaming is offering nowadays. In fact, I don't longer find appealing to rent movies as I used to do in the past.

Actually all my television/movies/videos needs are covered by YouTube, but the free version because I'm not sure if this is only for certain channels or what, but I have found YouTube messages asking me to join for a price... they must be dreaming on!

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to saving money one of the first things I did was cut the TV provider. I am thankful that it was at a time when the streaming services were available, though, because going to over the air by itself might have been a little rough. I have saved a significant amount of money by relying on streaming though and I do not intend on going back anytime soon, until prices are a lot lower at least.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have the same views as you on this DrRipley. I grew up having cable TV in our home and I would still prefer it over streaming until it would already become obsolete. I still feel that it's easier to switch channels through my remote and stay on a channel that catches my attention. I don't have anything against streaming though because my husband sometimes uses it so I also get to watch programs from it. :)

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will never go back to service, it's such a rip off. I'm a big bad downloader, since I don't watch enough of anything to justify price and streaming is such a bandwidth sucker.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch about 90% of the shows I like on my computer, even though I do have cable where I'm at. It's not just a matter of saving on the cable bill (which is currently free where I'm residing), but it's really more about convenience and getting to avoid all those damn commercials.

I can't stand sitting through a TV show on regular cable, because they keep playing the same commercials over and over and over every single commercial break. It drives me up a wall. If I have to see another damn "Flo" commercial, or that stupid Geico commercial with the peter pan kid, I'll pull my hair out.

The other thing is convenience, it's so much easier for me to find the shows I want to watch online, and watch them when I want - rather than waiting for the shows to come on or messing around programming a DVR to watch them. Plus the cable companies rip you off even more with those rental fees for their DVR equipment, which never come off your bill.

12. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I tried going back to cable but it is so expensive. We recently cut off our cable and decided to go back to streaming to save money. We currently subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Lifetime Movie Club. I love streaming I still get to see most of my favorite shows and for less money.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have any computers at our home, so we got cable. Cable works fine and they come out to install the lines and it works well. We like the stability and safety of cable too. Locally Time Warner is going through a merger that may benefit Senior Citizens too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some kind of Senior Citizen discount from the merger as well. My friend has a computer and he has the dish network for his home that he shares with others who have a television. He likes the dish network.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with a few different providers, as far as TV goes. I first had Cable TV and then we had Sky for a short while, then we went back to cable again. But I would not go back to those things if you paid me these days. Streaming all day, every day. It is just so much cheaper, and so much more convenient.

15. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    Last summer we cut our cable all together and started streaming all of our shows and I couldn't been happier that we did! We save so much money this way and we still get to see everything we love. The only downfall is you usually don't get to watch the shows at the same time everyone else does as sows are sometimes posted an hour after it airs but for my family its worth it, we don't mind the wait if it means we save $80 bucks a month

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Kenya Swan@Kenya Swan Do you like the Lifetime subscription? Does it have both Lifetime and LMN :)Lifetime Movie Network) movies? I came across that recently, and also found that there's one with Hallmark Movies. I might consider adding both of those in the future.

I cut the cord in the past, when I had a different provider and was fed up with their poor quality and high prices. The quality of my current provider is better, however they are pulling the same game with the prices. You call and stay on the phone forever dealing with a low level person who is designed to wear you down, then perhaps offer you $10 or $20 off per month. After that, when you refuse to settle, you're kicked up to someone who claims to care so much about and value you, while sticking the knife in your back. I have been through this repeatedly, and am just about ready to cut the cord.

I recently purchased a Roku, and haven't decided quite what I want to do as far as local stations, but I have a bill coming due, and I know when I log on to pay it, my blood pressure will hit the roof again. I just signed up to Netflix again yesterday, and will also subscribe to Hulu. I can't afford Amazon right now, but might consider that at some point. I would probably consider the CBS, Lifetime and Hallmark apps first, though.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think many people are moving over to streaming to avoid extortionate cable fees and being locked into contracts. I think if our internet was fantastic, with no buffering issues for instance, we'd also go that route. But in our situation, we much prefer the TV provider with their high fees and many repeats. It seems we can't win, but at least if we want to watch football, we are guaranteed to watch the game all the way through without any problems. We've begrudgingly gone back to cable :(

18. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Netflix subscription, but I still have cable TV. I have no way of streaming it to the TV though so that would not work for us yet. I have been doing some research on cutting out cable and I would not have a problem with it. I do not watch local channels anyway. There are only a handful of channels that I do watch so it is really a waste to have cable. But since I do not pay for it, it is not my decision right now. I may try this out when we move though.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a cable tv provider that doesn't have the channel for UFC (mixed martial arts) bouts. My husband is an aficionado of the UFC fights so he was disgusted when our cable tv provider stopped showing UFC fights starting this year. Last Sunday there was a championship fight that he watched in the internet streaming. He was shaking his head because the streaming was slow and sometimes it stops. Worse, it disconnects. Like in the last round of one of the fights, the streaming had quit and when it finally restarted, there were only 29 seconds left in the round.

We may be changing cable tv provider to have that channel for UFC fights.

20. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting OP. We've had satellite for almost 10 years now and only began to research other options available. I subscribed to Netflix a couple of years ago and I like it. Just recently my son gave me a streaming box which I'm getting use to. If it was up to me I would drop the satellite today but the decision is not mine alone. Then there is being able to access the local channels which I believe are important to have. There is a lot to work out between cutting out satellite tv and streaming before a decision is made.