Two of the best ways to save on electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Gussie • Oct 8, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Well, make sure you plug out all the appliances when they are not being used. Even a simple act like that could already do wonders in cutting your electricity bill.

2. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I like the "investing in a water heater timer", that's a really good idea and something I'll definitely look into. I can't get into # 1 so much, hanging clothes on the clothesline, probably because I had to do that as a kid. Taking the clothes off the clothesline was never a problem, at least not so much, but hanging the clothes up is what I hated doing. I think I'll stick with using the clothes dryer and just do some research on finding a good timer for the water heater.

Thanks for the really good tips ...

3. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    The thing I do which saves me the most on my electricity bill is having a kill switch which turns everything but the refrigerator off. At night I turn it off and when I'm out I turn it off. My bills are far lower since I started doing that.

4. Mercy77

Mercy77Member

Threads:
    Anything with a compressor is gonna eat electricity like crazy. This means your refrigerator and your air conditioner. Just lowering the refrigerator setting 1 notch will save you a little bit of money. I keep my thermostat at 78 degrees. The water heater also will raise your bill. I turn mine off at the breaker box. Doing all these things, I am saving about $50 a month.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much this. Also i never turn on the lights when i go to the room and i know that i am not going to be there too long.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    One way we saved money was to go from a payment key meter to a quarterly meter, I don't know if these are available outside the UK. :)

I agree that tumble dryers take a lot of juice, since we got rid of ours we have noticed we are using about a third less electricity.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Florida summers are brutal, but I've become less spoiled and realized I can get by without air conditioning if I open the windows and keep a couple of fans going.
    I used to be really delicate and turn the air conditioning on at the slightest discomfort, but air conditioning makes a big difference to your light bill and after seeing my bill, I toughened up fast and learned to get by without air conditioning.

As someone in another thread pointed out, you can save on energy by doing your homework or computer work at the mall or library and using their AC and WiFi,

8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this. I personally don't use a dryer since I'm living in a climate which allows me to take advantage of the sunshine, which I enjoy year round, and use it to dry my clothes on a clothes line. Solar water heaters can be used to replace an electric one, if you're enjoying a sunny climate year-round.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a weird question. Do you guys ever go somewhere else to use their electricity in order to save money on your own electricity?

Yesterday I took my daughter to the public library to do some homework and I noticed that they have awesome central air conditioning, electric water fountains that dispense ice cold water, free WiFi, several outlets to charge laptops, and plenty of tables to sit and work on your computer.

My last electric bill was huge because it's been a hot summer and I'm kicking myself for not taking the laptop to the library all summer long and staying cool for free.

Do you ever spend a hot day outside your home to save on cooling costs?

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Something I always forget to do is to just unplug everything when I go to sleep. I feel like unplugging the printer as well as out charging stations and hair tools out can save at least 10% off our electricity bill according to magazine articles.

11. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing dude, that was a great tips to save electricity.

Also,
    conserve water - Using less water will lower your water bill. And when you use less hot water, you’ll also see savings in your gas bill, or your electric bill if you have an electric water heater. According to DOE, water heating is the third most energy consuming function in the home. To cut down on water use, take faster showers and be conscious of the water you use when washing dishes and clothes and preparing food. You can also save energy by lowering your hot water temperature.

12. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I use the clothesline to dry my clothes. It does save energy. I have been lazy these past several months though. It takes more time, more effort to get the laundry outside, hung up, and finally back inside. It is easier to throw them in the dryer. I need to get back to line drying to save money. During the winter, I hang clothes up to dry in my basement. This saves money on the utilities too.

13. Danna Brown

Danna BrownNew Member

Threads:
    I have tried hanging clothes out on the clothesline, using fans instead of the air conditioner, turning off the lights. Hey, have you tried adjusting the temperature on the refridgerator, if its freezing items instead of just keeping them cool then you should consider this. It saves energy too.

14. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips. I also have converted to the more efficient bulbs, have a motion sensor on the bathroom switch (where most everyone leaves it on) and really try to turn out lights when I leave a room. I also put solar malibu lights on the patio and walkways and cut way back on outdoor lighting.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I don't like hanging my clothes out cause they usually get stiff and a kind of sun smell and I don't like it. My dryer don't use much tho so i'm happy with it :) Now the water heater I did not know about that could be really useful where can I get one?

16. x0MandyLynn0x

x0MandyLynn0xNew Member

Threads:
    I live in quite a small apartment. It's a 3 and a half. So I'm not spending too much a month for my electricity. I'am aware of things I have done though that make my bill even smaller every month though. And that would be making sure to not use my Air Conditioner so much, especially when I don't need it. Most people will feel the need to use it even if it's a little 'too warm' for their needs outside. But, if you can survive the heat, it's best to keep your Air Conditioner off as much as possible. Same for the winter, (it snows here) keep the heaters off unless you're freezing to death. Those really raise your bill sky rocket! I also unplug things. Like for example, if I use my toaster, after I'm done with it I'll unplug it from the wall. Or when I make coffee, etc. You get the point. It may not seem to save up much a month for you, but it all adds up during the year.

17. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I have a dryer, but I haven't used if for years, I bought it when my kids were babies and it's no longer needed now. I know some things consume a lot of electricity, like the toaster and the electric heaters so I keep their use to a minimum.

18. Danna Brown

Danna BrownNew Member

Threads:
    These are some excellent tips. I have tried not using the clothes dryer and investing in a clothes line. It it a great investment. It saves my husband and I tons of money per year.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    After reading the original poster about water heaters and clothes dryers being the highest uses of electricity, I would add that an old fashioned fridge and freezer actually were what was making my bill sky high. If I would have bought a new energy efficient refrigerator, I would have save the amount of the cost of the fridge in about 7 months of energy savings. That was my biggest hit on energy.

20. dswashin

dswashinNew Member

Threads:
    I have noticed a change in my electricity bill since I started unplugging everything when I leave home. The only things I leave plugged in when I leave are things that are inevitable; my refrigerator and my stove. My electricity bill for this month is only $29, so it does save money to unplug things you aren't using. I do get tired of having to plug in appliances every time I have to use them but for what I pay per month for electricity it is well worth it.