Two of the best ways to save on electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Gussie • Oct 8, 2012.

1. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I went for a long time without a clothes dryer. We had a washer, but just couldn't afford a dryer! So I hung a retractable clothes line in the living room and spare bedroom. I would hang the clothes up at night just before we were getting ready to go to bed, put a fan on them, and by morning they were dry. Where there's a will, there's a way. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

2. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I need my dishwasher and dryer. One way I have saved money is by replacing all of the light bulbs in my house with energy saving bulbs.

3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Proper use of Solar Clothes Dryer

The use of the Solar Clothes Dryer is certainly a good idea, but remember that it only works during daylight hours with no rain. Be sure to remove laundry before sunset. Birds can be a problem, especially when the mulberries are ripe. You can use the fluff setting on your dryer to remove stiffness. In-line water heaters can save money since they are on demand heaters. That means they provide hot water instantly and only work when you are using hot water. If you have in-line heaters, you don't need or want the timer. Solar water heaters can be a big money saver in the right part of the country if installed properly.

4. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I've started turning off the breaker for the hot water heater. It's ridiculous to have that much water kept hot 24 hours a day. Think about how many minutes you actually use the hot water in a day! You might only use a total of 60 minutes in a day. The other 23 HOURS of heating is money leaking out of your pocket.

What I do is turn the water heater on for just 30 minutes in the morning. That's it! I have enough hot water for a shower and any clothes that might need washing. For things like washing dishes and my hands, the water will be hot enough throughout the day. If not, turn the breaker back on, go do something else for about 10 minutes, turn the breaker back off and you've got enough hot water for the task. I'm saving at least $20 a month doing this. I can't wait to see my Winter bills!

5. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    I heat my home with wood so the air is really dry. I hung a retractable close line in the spare room and hang my laundry in there to dry in the winter. It takes longer in the winter but it does dry and adds much needed moisture to the air.