Types Of White Rice You Like

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 1, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When it comes to the cheaper types of white rice, I usually don't pay much attention to the difference anymore since the quality is roughly the same. I only pay attention when I know I'll be getting something of significantly higher quality such as Japanese or Korean rice which are my top favorites when it comes to white rice. To me they are good enough to eat without anything else, almost. I'm just wondering if there are other cheap types of white rice that I could be buying instead.

Which type of white rice do you usually go for when shopping at the grocery?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like you're a fan of the more glutinous kinds of rice. There is a kind of Chinese glutinous rice that is usually reserved for rice dumplings, it's really delicious steamed within bamboo leaves. Japanese or Korean rice is also grown in the US/Australia as "fancy rice", it's significantly cheaper than the actual thing.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm no expert on rice at all, but I like to use Basmati rice. It's quite light, has a delicate fragrance and goes really well with spicy dishes. I just purchase standard long-grain rice if money is particularly tight though.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    In Madagascar, there are 17 different types of rice! I have not yet tried all of them but I do have some favorites. They have local names though so I don't know what they would be called internationally. The shorter grain rice doesn't have as much bulk (for example, basmati gives you a bigger bulk because it is so long), but the shorter ones to me absorb more broth (whereas basmati always tastes drier to me). I'm no rice expert but we eat alot of it. I also like a red rice they have that is whole grain and eaten soupy for breakfast like a porridge.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not but cheaper white rice and I prefer to buy one with a moderate cost. I do not understand why the cost is so high. But the cheaper rice is definitely not worth it. It sticks to the hand and causes a lot of trouble. I would never prefer to use it on any given day.