Ugly Holiday sweaters

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by LitoLawless • Dec 16, 2014.

1. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I never really understood why they call them "ugly" holiday sweaters. Some of the sweaters are actually really nice. I have a purple and grey "ugly" sweater that I can't wait to wear! Do you guys have any "ugly" sweaters that you really like?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean, some of them are quite nice- some of them are undeniably ugly, lol. I don't think any holiday sweater is automatically an ugly one. I have one that is truly, really ugly (as a joke gift) and one that is 'normal' and nice :).

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think those "ugly holiday sweaters" have become somewhat of a classic. I think that a lot of them are actually really nice and comfortable, and I have a few that I wear around my home during the cooler times of the year. I just don't like to kitsch Christmas sweaters with Santa Claus or ridiculous looking baby animals on it. I just don't feel like myself if I have to wear one of those.

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    A sweater can be ugly without it being a holiday sweater. I received one for Christmas a few years back from my son, everyone that see's it says it is ugly, it has a mixed dark thread and a bright neon green thread. It took awhile but I found a paid of pants that match (No not neon green) Even if it is not the most attractive sweater it is so warm. So I kept it. You can always wear a hoody over it.

5. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think that they are all that ugly either. I had a really pretty one with snowflakes and a snowman that I wore quite a bit. I always thought it was pretty. I think that, nowadays, people have started to embellish the normal Christmas sweaters with all kinds of crazy things like lights, tinsel and ornaments just to make them ugly. But I don't think that the Christmas sweaters they sell in the stores are ugly at all.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I absolute hate those holiday sweaters, and I'm yet to come across one that appeals to me! Also, I'm very lucky that nobody's ever bought me one as a gift, because then I would've had to plaster on a fake smile! Now that I've moved to a HOT country where Christmas is during the height of summer, chances of me receiving one are very slim :)

7. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, I get invited to casual dinner parties. Every once in a while, there are people also invited whom I can hardly tolerate. The only manner I can think of that would drive them crazy is to were one of my Ugly Christmas Sweaters. I am gleeful just thinking about those wicked thoughts!

8. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Lol yes I've been wearing mine around the house nonstop for the past couple of weeks. Mine is read with a picture of Santa and it says "Merry Christmas Grandpa" in glittery puff paint haha. I found it at a thrift store last year.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the new craze that is making ugly holiday sweaters into something cool. People are even having ugly holiday sweater parties, the uglier the better. They are even adding more ugliness to the sweaters with lights, ornaments, and other embellishments. I think it's a fun idea. Ugly sweaters now have a reason for existing. It's a great way to make use of things that would otherwise be wasted.

On topic, I have also seen some very nice sweaters, but I'm not much of a sweater person. I'd do an ugly one for a party though. ;)

10. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I was just talking with a co worker today about tacky Christmas sweaters. They seem to have become an affectionate trend lately. I remember when our grandmas would give us tacky christmas sweaters, and we would gawk at them, and immediately put them in the closet never to be seen again until spring cleaning when we made our donations to goodwill. Now, it seems that tacky sweaters are the thing to do for family photos, and Christmas parties. I have even seen online forums where people post pictures of themselves in their tacky Christmas sweater as a point of pride. My, how times have changed!

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My mom always made us wear Christmas sweaters when my sisters and I were kids. We really hated them because they were itchy and stiff. I did like the ones with printed graphics on them though. Printed bears and reindeer were pretty much standard at my house.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah I think it's just used as a more catchy term for cheesy. I love them too and it's just unfortunate that it's not cold here so having a sweater would seem odd because I'd love to own one as well and I wouldn't even be embarrassed to wear it on regular days. I think cheesy designs are very fun.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of holiday sweaters just because I don't like things that I can only wear right around the holidays. I've seen some that weren't so bad, though. And I've seen some that would win the ugly contests hands down.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am invited to an "ugly" Christmas sweater party. There's an ugly sweater day where my sister works. I really don't like those sweaters. I haven't seen one that I would wear under normal circumstances. I will have to visit the Goodwill thrift shop to buy a sweater just for the party.

15. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I have a snowman sweater that's really blinged out that I like to wear all winter long. I also have a black long sleeve T-shirt that gets a lot of compliments because it says the joy of Christmas is in the giving. Then there's a long sleeve jean shirt with Christmas bulbs and a turtleneck with little Santas all over it. I guess you could say I collect these things LOL What's really funny though is my Mom went to buy a Christmas shirt for my daughter this year after Thanksgiving and couldn't find them anywhere. They were all sold out. I guess that shows how popular they really are.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I truly truly don't know why people seem to have such a problem with holiday sweaters lmaooo! I think that in certain instances, they can be so cute, and they really are capable of helping people to get into the Christmas mood or spirit. Just looking at someone else who may be wearing one is nice and likely to make someone feel more in a holiday mood. What I like to see the most though, is when grumpy people have on such holiday sweaters? It's adorable and hilarious all at the same time lol. These types of people seem more likely to crack a smile though when they are wearing holiday sweaters. I personally wear holiday sweaters.

17. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    For anyone who has any ugly holiday sweaters, but never wears them there are consignment shops that look for these types of clothing items specifically like fashions from past generations so it's a good way to get rid of them if you don't want to keep hanging onto them year after year. I have a sweater that I suppose could be considered a holiday type sweater, but it's actually a pretty sweater. Definitely a unique and interesting post! ;)