Umbrellas and other rain gear

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ChanellG • Dec 27, 2014.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't a review of a specific product so much as a comment on umbrellas and rain gear in general. Why do we have umbrellas when they don't really do much to keep us dry? Also, why is it so difficult to find rain gear in a place where it can rain so much that everything, including you, will become waterlogged? I have been looking for a full-length raincoat for more years than I can remember.

After hurricane Katrina, I was teaching part-time in the afternoons and I got so tired of getting rained on that I bought a pair of rubber boots. I would like to have a raincoat that a) actually repels water, and b) comes down well past my knees, if not down to my ankles. What happened to those long hooded raincoats from back in the day?

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I can't believe that not one person had anything to say on this subject. Am I really the only one who gets tired of getting wet when it rains and rains and rains? Maybe I should have given this thread a different title. (Or put it in a different place?)

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure why but maybe people don't really understand the nature of your questions. Someone invented the umbrella (according to elementary teachers, it's the Chinese) so people are using it to this day because they find it useful to some extent. Of course, they're useless in the face of floods, typhoons and hurricanes but when you think hard on it, who would dare go out of the house when it's flooding and the weather's so bad? You can buy a raincoat just like this

plus rain boots.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you that umbrellas sometimes (actually most of the time) doesn't do a lot to keep us dry. In my keep the hair dry, but I find that my legs, shoes and a good part of my shirt is usually wet if I spent a while in the rain, even with the big umbrella. where I work we have to walk a lot to get places and there is no cover, so when it rings even if you were in umbrella you will get very wet. however, I don't really have anything else to prepare for the rain, I don't carry a raincoat with me or anything like that.

5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure those long raincoats still exist, you would just simply have to buy one from the internet instead. I always hate getting wet when it rains, even if it's just a little bit. Riding the trains in New York is the worst, and when it rains there's just this smelly mugginess that just looms over the air; it's not pleasant.

Try searching something like "long hooded raincoats" and go for there. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Umbrellas have been around, but they don't work well in the wind and they don't keep your dry. Where I live we experience a lot of ponding on the road and other street flooding in heavy rains. Some roads are completely impassible, but people still have to work, etc. Occasionally some people may have to wade through water that is almost knee deep to get home. I am lucky to live on high ground, but I don't like having my shoes ruined. I do have rainboots, and they are one of the best things I have ever bought.

The raincoat you suggested is only a jacket; I have something similar, but it doesn't keep my legs from getting wet.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is exactly what I mean. Unless you wear rain boots, the bottom of your pants will be wet. Who wants to go to work with clammy wet legs? In summer the air conditioning is on in most places and you'll be almost as cold as if it were winter. It's not easy to stay dry and dress appropriately for work all the time, and it's not just clothing - backpacks, handbags, briefcases... they are all getting wet as well.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried searching. If it were that simple I would have already purchased one along with a bunch of other raingear. With the rainy weather we get here a person really needs a mixture of rain protection items. I would like to have a long raincoat, as well as pair of rain paints. I have boots, but it's not always convenient to wear them so shoe covers would be in order, but my real point is that in a place where it rains as much as it does here, you'd think these things would always be available all the time.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I think umbrellas are mostly only good for light rain but once heavy winds hit you're pretty much without options. I think raincoats are just not too fashionable anymore nowadays and it's probably why no one sells or buys them anymore, as it's also been a long time for me since I last saw someone wearing it, but to be fair it only rains hard here once or twice a year for the most part.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It rains a lot here. Sometimes for days and days. I mean it rains so much, I could probably open a retail store that only sold foul weather gear and make a decent living. As much as I get tired of getting wet, I'm glad it rains more than once or twice per year. My garden would shrivel up and die without regular watering.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:

Actually, I've still got one of those "long hooded raincoats from back in the day" hanging in my closet.
    Funny thing, I was cleaning that closet out just yesterday, throwing some things away and packing others up to take to the Salvation Army, when I came across that raincoat--an old London Fog still in excellent condition. I almost put it in the Salvation Army pile but decided to try it on first. I'm glad I did, as I decided to keep it.
    It matters not one whit to me that it's not in style these days. It's attractive, long and has a nice warm lining in it.
    I can't believe I'd forgotten about it.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon has a couple of nice long hooded raincoats. You can also check eBay for vintage ones.
    I understand your frustration because Florida has a rainy season and I've been soaked to the bone before.
    It's weird that it floods in my area due to poor drainage, but the local stores don't sell rain boots.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I"m glad you didn't get rid of it! One day you would have decided you needed another one and would not have been able to find it, or when you did the price would have been astronomical. If I recall, London Fog made all weather trench coats. What I am looking for is the heavy, long yellow rain slicker, preferably with a hood.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I've looked for one on and off for a few years. My ex had this great two piece set with a short rain slicker and rain pants. I'd like to have one of those as well, as it would protect even better than the coat. Rain boots have become such a fashion thing here that I've thought about selling them. At Jazz Fest one year I photographed them on people, mostly women and a few kids, documenting the variety. I want to do some kind of festival related art piece.