Unconventional Places To Travel During Summer

Discussion in Travel started by eagle22 • Apr 5, 2014.

1. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    For those of you who go on vacation often, what are some unconvetional places you have traveled to during the summer? It seems like everyone travels to a place like Hawaii, but I want to do something a bit different this year!

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we did vacation in the Philippines once, it was summer and well, usually we'd go for the beaches, you know, Boracay or Palawan whatever, but we end up spending the whole summer in a place called Baguio, its far up and it was cold there, well at least as cold as tropical countries can get, and there are strawberries there.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Head off to Alaska and spend your vacation fishing.

But this is if you don't mind the temperatures and you're not traveling with your family. If you are traveling solo then this could be something worth trying.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many visiting places in my own country (India) that we find it difficult to select where to visit and what to leave. In place India is surrounded by oceans from three sides namely Indian Ocean, Arabian and Bay of Bengal and the Great Himalayas on the fourth. We have hundreds of world class beaches and hundreds of world class Hill resorts where people come from all over the world so we do not have to think much where to go. The visitors have lots of choices in World famous historical buildings (World heritage listed) Reserved forests, snow packed mountains and famous royal castles.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I guess you mean not so popular places to travel to this summer. How about visiting remote places in Africa. I am not talking about well known African countries like South Africa. For example going to spend the summer in one of the African countries, not too popular a travel destination, could give a fresh and different look from holidaying in Hawaii ( in your example)

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, that will be lot cheaper if we plan to visit unknown places and I have done that in the past. In fact, every place which you have not visited before has its own charm and cultural differences which are of tourists' interest in themselves. I visited a not so famous forest reserve and trust me I enjoyed it more than famous forests (National Parks) because it was far lesser crowded, had even more animal species and more natural looking places to stay. By the way we stayed in a hut provided by the forest's administration which was an experiment in itself.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    It seems a lot of the popular cold weather places are less crowded in the summer time-like St. Moritz, Switzerland and is not as crowded as in the wintertime. Its gets a lot of sunny days, but never gets to hot either-also it has alot of of hiking trails which sounds fun and cheap. You could try Bergen, Norway-it has some colorful-cozy houses and also has great hiking as well.

#7Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary we have equal number of tourists in cold places even during winters as people want to experience snow fall and therefore hill resorts are heavily crowded during winter vacations especially from December 20 to January 5 when it snows and most travel agencies advertise keeping it in center of their campaign. I have myself visited places in my neighborhood Himalayan area where it snows during last week of December onward for 6-8 weeks.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think many people go to the museum the most during this season. You can see that some of the times such travel has it's set of the issues if lot of people travel over there. And so on that point I'd recommend going to places where things can be more realistic on that count.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The usual places that we go during summer are the beach and swimming pool resorts. But sometimes we also go to rural places that have lots of festivities that we can join in. For the last 2 summers though, we were abroad. In the summer of this year, it was a trip to Hongkong because we were able to buy a discounted ticket that costs less than $100 round trip for each person.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can understand that beaches are a cool idea during summers but the problem with our beaches is that they are either too hot or the ones those are not located in so hot areas attract too many visitors. We prefer hill resorts which are nearby to my place since I live in Himalayan area and provide a very nice experience at lesser cost. I prefer going to not so popular though but peaceful and cozy ones.