Underpayment

Discussion in Misc & Others started by GavinMcresty • May 1, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    How do you deal with situations where you realise you have been charged too little by a shop? Do you just ignore it and count it as good luck? Or do you return to the shop and make sure you have paid up? Does it depend on how much you have underpaid by or on which shop it was at? I know my dad went to a little fruit and vegetable stall at the market and paid them for something he realised they hadn't charged him for. It is a very small business so for them it is quite a big thing really.

Once I bought a cheap burger from the fried chicken place near where I live. Officially it is not on the menu any more but I asked and they still had the one I was after. They charged me less than I expected for it but since it was no longer on the menu, I had no idea if I had underpaid or not. They might have been giving them away at a reduced price to get rid of them.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    99% of the time I'd probably just count it as good fortune, but if it were from an individual or small business, I'd consider going back and paying the difference.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here.. unless it's a big difference, I won't say anything, but in the case of any local/small business I will definitely say something.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I was once told to never look a gift horse in the mouth... also I'm not someone who tends to check the receipt until after I get home. Therefore I generally wouldn't even know I'd been undercharged until it was far too late for me to care. Ah, well.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't always speak up, but I know I should, and next time it happens I definitely will each time. I've come to realize that the little savings I get will be nothing compared to having a clear conscience and lifestyle. Even if I try to justify it to myself on how rich the owners are, the right things to do will always remain to be so. I try to be a better person each day, and I think small things like this make up for a lot towards becoming one.

6. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I would normally go back and try to fix it. However, a few months ago, I purchased Zucchini from Wal-mart and realized that they charged me for a cucumber which cost less. I didn't notice it until a few days later, so I just let it go. Reading this thread makes me feel that I should have gone back and had them correct it. If it had been something with a significant difference I would have taken the time to go back, but I guess that shouldn't matter. Small amounts add up to big amounts when it happens often enough.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't count the change that has been given to me until I get home, so I wouldn't really know that I was undercharged. So if it happened to me then it's not really a big deal, since I got home already, so returning the extra change would be a hassle. If it's a large amount though, then I'd definitely return it when I return to the store.