"Unexpected item in bagging area, please remove item, wait for assistance"

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sarz • Mar 19, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly I would not mind using self service checkouts if they actually served any purpose. Reducing waiting times during busy periods, allowing you to do small shops quicker. But what annoys me is being told to use the self service checkout for my own convenience even though the queue is usually longer. The scales are temperamental as is the scanner and there is not enough bag space. Then comes the dreaded unexpected alert, then you have to wait for assistance.

What is the point? :mad:

2. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Very well said! I have this exact same frustration when I use the self service machines. The errors tend to happen the most if I have more than just a few items. Suddenly it can't weigh all the items properly or as you said then you have to wait for "assistance" which really isn't assistance at all. The employee just types in a code and you're back left to wonder if you'll be able to peacefully finish the check out service. I know we could still go through the regular check stands, but if this is supposed to be convenient they should really try to improve the machines' efficiency.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    They've actually gotten better in the last couple years, in my opinion, so I don't really have the same gripes any more. Yes, sometimes the unexpected errors are annoying, but most people who use those checkout lines only have a few items in their cart. The same would apply to me if it's recommended I go over there, too. So it DOES end up cutting down the time for me, assuming I don't have many coupons, etc.

4. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Its great as long as there's sufficient staff on standby to resolve any issues. Generally does save time for me nowadays, especially for quick purchases like sandwiches and a drink.

I remember when my local supermarket first installed these and I initially thought it was wonderful, until I started getting the occasional errors. There were no staff at first to oversee things so I'd be waiting for a while like a plonker with a flashing bulb above my head.

5. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I saw somewhere some years ago that they are trying to make it an auto-scan corridor where when you walk through it, a multi-layered scanner scans your items and charges your credit card or assigned membership card. Everything is pre-packaged as well. So if you want to buy two sticks of carrots, you'll probably have to buy a pack of 5 carrots instead with a coded chip for scanning on its label. The cool thing about this is that you don't need to put the items through a machine or a weight. It will scan all of your items just by walking through a 10ft long corridor.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is so true. How often have I found myself at the self-check out waiting for some assistant that took at least 10 minutes to appear. I would have long been through if a human operator had served me. At other times coins get stuck or the machine doesn't hand out notes. Then the whole drama starts about having to prove that I actually put a note in, and we have to wait until an expert comes, opens the machine and sees what is going on. I now much prefer to deal with a person instead of a machine.

7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I love the self check out for the most part and only for very small shopping trips. I have been using them for years and I think I finally got the hang of it. Last week however I had to go with my three kids to but birthday presents. I put one item in a bad after scanning it, it said the hole "unexpected item" thing, took it out of the back, then got " do not bag" option, that didn't work, so had to wait for assistance, she finally came over and fixed it, BUT just walked away...that's normal however, I then tried to scan the next item and the exact same thing happened, again the "assistance" came and went, and then it happened again! Okay, now I was annoyed! We picked up everything, put them back in the cart and started to go to a line with a checker, the "assistance" came over again and was like " what's wrong" and I told her that no matter what I did that thing kept saying the same thing. You know what she said...(same person that helped us twice before) she said " Oh that machine has been doing that all day". WHY did she not say something earlier! I was more upset that she KNEW it was broken but never said a thing.

8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any complaints with self checkout, I've gotten an error maybe twice and it was because the barcode was unreadable so they had to input it manually.
    I use it all the time, unless I'm doing my weekly shopping and I have a cart full of items.

9. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I love using self checkouts, especially if lines are really long. Where I use them, at Walmart, extra weight doesn't alert workers. Workers only come if you ask or if you purchase an age restricted item. So if I somehow get extra weight in a bag I just remove it and put it in my cart. At Publix, however, I stay away from self check outs because no matter what I do I always end up alerting employees and the checkout process becomes more time consuming and stressful. I haven't used a self serve checkout at Publix in several months. Have you noticed any differences between self checkouts at different stores?

10. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    You're told to use the self checkout when the line is longer? That's awful! That means the checkout cashiers are just being lazy and they just want you to do their job for them. Myself, I prefer the self checkout line, they're often very short or empty where I live, and I can do it just as fast as the cashier if I've noticed where the bar codes are while I was shopping and picking up items. I also don't pick up vegetables, look at them oddly, and say 'What's the name of this item?' because I don't know what ginger root is.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I HATE using these self checkout thing! If I'm in a supermarket on my own then I will happily queue up in a long queue just to have a human price up for me, if I'm with someone then we'll use the self service checkout because they know how to do it and I'll stand a few yards away while they struggle with getting every item successfully scanned. I'm surprised nobody has attacked these machines yet!

12. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Self service checkouts are great and fast as long as everything that you (and everyone in front of you) have only items that have a bar code. I wont use the self service checkouts if I need to enter a bunch of codes because I know it is going to take a long time to first find the codes, enter them, and ensure I am weighing things properly. Coupons and other discount items will also keep me away from the self serve checkouts.

This is an issue that will persist for many years as more self serve checkouts will likely appear, but more people learn to use them more efficiently. There will always be a need for a service person to help.

13. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    You've had the cashiers actually tell you to use the self checkout?
    I've never seen that happen here, that's terrible.
    I go to the self-checkout if the line for the regular checkout is too long but if it's short or I have a lot of things I always prefer the regular.

14. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I don't mind using those if I know what I am doing, but sometimes it gets confusing with weighing things. In addition, the way they operate differs in different stores. Also it is a problem if something goes wrong. Sometimes the attendant is off somewhere and you have to wait for them to come back.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    They are more trouble than they are worth. When they were first introduced they were a novelty, but these days I prefer a cashier at the checkout. Having said that one benefit of these self service checkouts is that the coin slots allow you to get rid of change and pay for your shopping with pennies. Something that would be unreasonable at a normal checkout.