USB safety

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Jan 3, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a few USB devices, but I never click on the option "remove safely" because I think it's not necessary. So far, I had no issues with that and I don't understand what problems that might bring. Any ideas on this feature?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a USB device is in the middle of a process and you disconnect it from another device, then it's more than likely going to corrupt the data, which comes with obvious problems. Nothing's going to happen if the USB device isn't processing something, but the problems that can arise are pretty darn simple to understand.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is really useful to use this feature than just ignore it. I think it is not worth to damage your USB because of being careless.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A kid once yanked a device I'd been using. At that time I was copying some files onto it and guess what happened when I plugged it back in? I got an error message:

"This volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure . . . "

When the file system of a storage device goes RAW, it's dead. You never can use it again. I lost a lot of data and 1TB of storage that day. You can avoid that by clicking on "safely remove" device. Doesn't take long.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the pc hangs and the USB isn't being used or read, then I just pull it out. But NEVER yank it when it's being written with data, like what has been said, because it will corrupt the flash drive.

@ Denis, was EASEUS Data Recovery software not able to recover the data? Was it even read by the pc after that, and it just asked you to reformat?

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this all the time too and I've only had problems a few times, but honestly it is a pain whenever those seldom times come around where the drive just stops working and I end up having to reformat because I lose a lot of data that way and also it takes some time to reformat and fix a broken hard drive. I think it's still best to safely remove it as much as possible and I only ever do it now if I'm in a hurry.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I also yank my flash drive from my usb port often because I'm one huge lazy slob lol. Good thing that I still don't experience any defects from both my flash drive and hard drive whatsoever. However, I may start practicing the "remove this safely" feature because I have a few important documents on my drives that I can't put on the cloud because they're private. And it'll be a huge hassle for me if I lose those documents. Thanks for the tips guys! They're very much appreciated. :)

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to just safely remove even if nothing is being transferred or has been transferred. It is just a safety precaution they have in place for those who tend to do silly things. Someone can easily sue them for not having a notification to tell them to safely remove their usb and win.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At that time I didn't about software that could recover data from RAW disks. So when my attempts to format the disk failed I had to give up and get rid of the storage device. Had I known that the data could be recovered then . . .

10. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I've been making a habit of using it ever since I pulled out the USB after it was done copying, and yet the photos still disappeared. There were some pretty nice memories in there, and because of saving a few seconds, I lost them forever. I think everyone should start making this a habit, you never know when the laziness and the time you save is going to bite you back.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That was some damage, then. Yanking a flash drive when data is being written is really dangerous, huh? It even rendered your device useless. Did you even bother confronting the kid to tell him not to do it again, assuming he lives with you?

12. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha! Me too! When I first had a laptop, I used to always click on "remove safely". There were times that it didn't allow me to remove the USB safely so I had to wait and wait and wait until it allowed me to. But now? I don't care. I no longer click on that. I just make sure that I have finished transferring data before I remove the USB. Then I unplug it from my laptop. That's it. Never had any issues with that method for two years now.

13. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    It's always a good idea to use the "remove safely" feature, I corrupted my USB flash drive and lost everything on it because I didn't take the time to click that button, I learned my lesson after that, it only takes a second to save yourself the headache, you can also crush your computer by doing that, you can even crash your hard drive, it's not worth it in the end.

14. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, yeah, maybe you have a point, but so far I've been lucky and never had any issues, but I mean, if all the files that I have in the pen are closed and I simply remove it, what can it happen really? So I don't do that, I think it's a waste of time.