Use intuition to 'smell' a scam a mile off?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Denis Hard • Mar 27, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many theories and tips that are aimed at helping an online shopper to avoid getting scammed. Some, like the one I'm about to share with you are questionable.

According to one writer, you can use your intuition to decide if a seller is lying to you or not.

Is it even possible to, by reading an email tell if someone wants to steal some cash from you if they are subtle in their approach?

2. Galadriel

GaladrielNew Member

Threads:
    I think that, under almost all circumstances, you should never pay someone just by having received an email...

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Intuition can be accurate and useful in my experience, like I recall that there were many times a random thought appeared in my head out of nowhere, and later on I find out that my gut feeling was right. So intuition can actually help you identify a scammer or not. If it doesn't feel right, then chances are, it's really not right! :eek:

#3Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Getting an email from a stranger warrants suspicion. However, there are some language patterns that have helped me in the past.
    1. Overly friendly
    2. Extremely chatty on matters that have nothing to do with business
    3. They really push the matter, even though their tone may not change

My ex-landlord got me on the last two and now I'm having to report him to a consumer agency to dispute fees.

5. HeinrichM

HeinrichMNew Member

Threads:
    Well intuition is fine but you do need a lot of experience with these type of scams before your intuition will be accurate. I find that searching the web for reviews or feedback quickly alerts you to a scam. When something sounds to good to be true it normally is!

6. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    Well, it's common sense. You cannot get rich easily, you cannot lose weight without effort. Always read reviews before buying.
    Be very suspicious with reviews also. It is very easy to write good reviews for your own product.

7. hnatalieann

hnatalieannNew Member

Threads:
    I think if it sounds to good to be true it is! It's not possible to make hundreds a day online doing nothing or getting an iPhone for free. There are so many scams and I feel horrible for the ones who fall for them.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I think intuition is a big part of it. You have to pay attention to the detail, if it sounds too good, it probably is. If there are no details, it seems iffy. There are a lot of subtle hints that make you question yourself in purchasing it. I feel like if your intuition is making you question whether it is safe or legit, listen to it. I have done it a number of times and probably saved myself a ton of money.

9. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I think if you're a decently smart person your intuition will get you a long way into not being scammed or getting ripped off. Some people though, they just don't get it and will still walk blindly into those kind of traps. It's true that I can usually tell just by looking at an e-mail or website whether they are legit or not. There are so many little signs that tip you off.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of "red flags" that you could use to spot a scam. These are some of the things that I look into when trying to see whether something is a scam or not:
    -The sales page is a but secretive. It doesn't tell what the product really does
    -The pictures seem fake
    -The sales page shows a lot of paper bills
    -It contains a lot of exclamation points
    -They prevent you from closing the page

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that scams have a lot of spelling errors. For example I've gotten phishing scam emails pretending to be from my bank, except that my bank would never write in broken English or have spelling errors.
    It's also a sign of a scam if they are secretive and don't tell you what you have to do. A legitimate site will tell you that you have to review music, write articles, sell items or answer surveys. They will not make you "click for more details" or "get all the info from a super secret webinar".

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I live by the age old motto of "if it sounds too good to be true then it is too good to be true." I don't believe you will go far wrong by using this motto. Sadly it took me a long time and being scammed many times to learn this lesson!