Used Apparels

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by difrancprod • Oct 23, 2013.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Do you guys buy used clothes and shoes in vintage stores? I have one store located near my apartment and I am so tempted to buy but I don't know the procedure on how to clean them.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't know the procedure to clean them? Just ask the store owner prior to making the purchase. They'll be glad to help out with 'cleaning tutorials.'

I've bought used clothes before and before wearing them I'd deliver them to a launder and once I get them back, they're be ready to worn. The one thing I like about used clothes is that they're very cheap.

3. coco85

coco85New Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't ever bought used clothes before. I usually associate used clothes with dead people for some weird reason and so it totally freaks me out to even think of buying them. I also don't know if the clothes are of good quality and I'm skeptical about getting cheated into buying something 'vintage' when it's probably not the case.

4. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes all the time, for myself and for my kids! I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I always do clean them before wearing them. And I NEVER buy used underwear or anything like that! LOL
    Used clothing can be so much cheaper. And honestly, some stuff I buy looks like it was barely, or never, worn! You never know. Someone may have been gifted it and not liked it... or the kids outgrew it before they could wear it... so many reasons people sell their stuff..

5. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    Buying used clothes has never bothered me. I actually really enjoy browsing thrift stores to see how much I can get for my money. If I spend $10.00 at Wal-Mart, I might get one shirt, but who knows how much I'll be able to get at a thrift store? I buy a lot of my kids' clothes secondhand (especially their "play" clothes) because they outgrow things so fast.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really like buying second hand items, but if I see a design I like, I wouldn't let that fact stop me either. As for cleaning, I would think steam cleaning would be good, or at least multiple washings. I'm not too against buying used clothes, especially if they're super cheap and I'd only want to use them a few times or for when I'm not going anywhere of importance.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying second hand clothes and apparel is very common here in my place. There are a lot of great finds in second hand stores. Shoes, shirts, bags, they're all sold at affordable prices. What I do is that I soak the clothing in hot water just to be sure.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a thing about buying used clothing too. Washing should be sufficient to clean them. I know it's mostly in my head. I like going to thrift shops, but I usually buy handbags and other non clothing items. Every once in awhile, I will find some clothing with the retail tags still on them.

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    "Thrifting" is one of my favorite things to do! However, it's definitely for certain items; t-shirts, athletic clothes, jeans/pants, costume ideas/accessories, purses, and maybe a great pair of boots. I try to find clothes that don't smell or have high cleaning needs; to me, that's just not worth it. If I find an item I like, I first examine it for stains, tears, and odors. If it passes that, then I move on to whether it fits, price, and what I can wear it with that's already in my closet. My entire college wardrobe was secondhand, and I was known as the gal to talk to for information on where to buy the clothes I had. The trick to cleaning used clothing is to simply find the clothes that need the least amount of work to be ready-to-wear.

10. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    Buying any clothes used is a no no for me. I never purchase used clothing, because it is pretty pointless. Why buy something that will be easily destroyed when wearing it. Sometimes people buy clothing that is ripped or has signs of wear and tear, which is never a good thing for anyone.

11. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy used clothes or shoes. I go to thrift store. I buy things like home decor or other things but not something to wear. I'm not just comfortable wearing something, knowing someone wear it before, whether she is still alive or not. That is something I avoid.

12. violatoR

violatoRNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't and at this point I don't plan on doing it either. Who knows what kind of a person might have wore those clothes before you? It's really, really uncomfortable for me. Although that there are various cleaning methods available now-a-days, I still don't think that all the worries I'm going to go trough will be worth it. Even after I get it fully cleaned, I'm still going to ask myself whether or not it's actually clean for at least a few months.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes at thrift stores and consignment shops. It is so much cheaper. I just wash them in hot water before I wear them. The key is to find a good consignment shop. There are several in my town that will not accept any clothes with stains or holes. The quality of those particular stores is higher than others. I try to get summer clothes during the fall because they are usually marked down even more. So shop in the off season to receive even more of a bargain price.

14. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    I love to shop at thrift stores! There are a lot of clothes that still have the original tags and are considerably cheaper than buying the clothing from a name brand store. I've even been the guilty one of buying clothes from the store and never wearing them, just to later donate those clothes to a thrift store.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy used shoes, but I have bought used clothes before because they're so cheap, and they still look decent anyway. In fact, some even look good as new. But I'm really not a fan of vintage items, so I don't think I would ever visit such stores.