Used Shoes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Rosyrain • Apr 9, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I purchase a lot of clothing items from thrift stores because I can find a lot of cute items and they are cheaper than purchasing them at apparel stores. I would never buy used shoes though because the thought of another person sweating in them grosses me out. I have also seen a lot of people with bad foot fungus in my days too. Would you ever buy shoes from a thrift store?

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy used shoes either. By the time I get to the shoes, it would only be a matter of time before they falk apart. I don't want to have to buy shoes back to back so fast because they are pre used. Remember that some people walk very hard in their shoes. The idea of getting a foot fungus from used shoes is scary.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, honestly I never thought about foot fungus at all. I go to thrift stores too and I like the jeans they got and found a Lee jeans and they are super fabulous for it had so little wear on them! Shoes though I just look at them and never bought them though. I wear socks with my shoes, but I find good prices at amazon.com, so I buy my foot wear from Ross or amazon.com. Thanks for the information!

4. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    Every once in a while I'll buy a pair of gently used shoes from either a consignment store or thrift store. However, I always Lysol every pair - then clean the insides with Clorox wipes. Though it's not my go to thing. It's just one of those "I saw this gently used pair of light blue, Spanish leather boots that were to die for and only $3" kind of thing.

The best place to buy bargain, fashion shoes (note "fashion shoes"), is Forever 21 online. They always run great sales. If you're looking to get nice pair of outdoor shoes, I suggest Amazon - I always find a deal. A specific pair? Go to the store that sells the shoe, sign up for their mailing list, wait for a coupon, buy the shoe at a discounted price.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I buy more used clothing (and shoes) now than new. I rarely even buy used at this point, because I'm trying not to accumulate a bunch of stuff and stop being wasteful, but sure.. shoes are fine. All used items should be washed anyway (even the new clothes you buy have been worn by tons and tons of people trying them on. And even shirts and pants have been sweated in. There is no avoiding used clothes and shoes (unless getting them right out of the factory), so might as well buy what you like and not worry quite so much ;)

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No as well, since shoes are like "closed", so the sweat gets trapped inside and dries there. Even if you do wash them, it still seems unhygienic to me, the same with buying underwear.

7. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    I'm honestly pretty squeamish about any used clothing. I don't know, maybe I'm over the top, I just don't like things that I know other people have worn (and probably often). I also think used clothing smells pretty bad, and I have a thing about smells that keeps me from buying those sorts of things.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... To be honest, I've never bought used shoes. The closest I can think of is inheriting my mother's and sister's old shoes. But I do know that they don't have foot fungus so I'm fine with it. Haha! With regards to buying used shoes, I don't think I'll be up for it. Particularly because even with thorough washing, closed shoes still don't become that clean. And I know some people who wear closed ballet flats or closed pointy shoes without foot socks.

Maybe if it's an open shoes like sandals I might be more considerate in buying second hand shoes. They're easier to clean and you don't sweat much on this type of shoes.And maybe with shoes like rubber shoes since you really have to wear socks before wearing them. But downside is, even with socks, the sweat can still pass through the shoes.

Do you guys even wash the whole shoes? I mean, with some shoes like leather ones, we cannot wash it completely right? Only rubber shoes can be washed as a whole and sneakers as well.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use the bowling alley shoes? I also go to the second hand store for items, I have found some really deals including shoes. I clean the inside of the shoes with bleach to kill any germs and spray with lysol to help kill germs also.

10. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing off-limits to me at a thrift store is underwear! I but used shoes all the time! Mostly, I but shoes that were hardly used... no scuff marks, inside sole still legible, etc... Never really worried about foot fungus because I always wash them pretty good, as with anything I buy used.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's one of those things I would never consider buying at a thrift store. I can buy bags, jackets, books, furniture - name it, I may buy it - that is except for shoes and underwear. There's something so personal about shoes and it's not hygienic to wear something you don't know the history of. We never know whether the previous owner had skin problems or bacteria. You know thrift stores and how they operate. The shoes may not have been disinfected properly.

12. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I could buy an used jacket or used pants but shoes? I would deffinitely never buy a pair of used shoes, they are something I really take care of and I would not like buying used shoes that I dont really know what kind of person had them before I ever bought them or something like that, I just would not buy used shoes whatsoever.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have the courage to get used shoes, I don't own any I got used, they are all new. I might own a pair or two I got for my mom, but that is all.
    Shoes and feet can get a bit stinky.... So I wouldn't trust anyone's feet and I wouldn't wear anyone's shoes!!

14. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Exactly, it would feel just weird to use somebody else's shoes, much worse when you dont even know whose shoes those were and woow, what if they were a dead person's shoes, come on, taht is some creepy stuff.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sanitizing used shoes is easy. I always get it done each time I buy used shoes [and I do that a lot]. From time to time though if I can't find a nice pair of used shoes to buy, I'll get myself new shoes.

For those terrified of getting an infection if the previous owner had some foot infection maybe you could take a look at this article?

16. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I bought a pair at a thrift store last year, I think it's perfectly alright to buy used shoes. I make sure though that the shoes aren't too worn out and is still in great condition. You would also have to sanitize them first. I sprayed the used shoes with Lysol disinfectant spray and left it out under the sun to dry. You could also wash them in hot water, depending on the material.

17. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. I have no problem buying used clothing but just can't bring myself to buy used shoes. I think shoes mould to the owners foot so I would think that wearing shoes that someone else has worn would be uncomfortable not mention that there could be fungus and sweat in them. Washing shoes or disinfecting them just doesn't seem to be enough for me. For me it's not about saving money on shoes, I'm on my feet all day and need comfortable proper shoes.

18. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I really prefer to buy new brand shoes. I am not in favour of wearing shoes that were worn by others for a long time, whether they are in good condition or not. I don't think it is a healthy thing to do. I have a lot of shoes here that I could put in a sale since I no longer wear them, but I have no desire to do so. I think buying clothes secondhand is okay though, since the clothing can be washed first before being worn, so that is safer than buying secondhand shoes.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have never worn clothes or shoes that were worn by another person, therefore, it's out of the question for me to purchase second-hand clothes or shoes. I don't see the need to anyway because I would rather wear an inferior brand of new clothing instead of buying a superior brand which has been previously worn by someone else.

20. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Shoes I only ever buy new. There can be good deals, but unless it's straight rubber, I just will NOT trust the type of bacteria that can develop in a shoe, even if I'm gonna wash it. I'd rather just spend a couple more bucks and find cheap shoes than go through the process of cleaning someone's feet germs.