Used Water For Trees

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Apr 11, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Especially during summer, plants and trees need more water to counter the excessive evaporation due to the simmering heat of the sun. A day cannot pass without watering the plants otherwise they will wither and die. But often, trees are neglected. In our home, used water is saved for the trees. Especially the water used to rinse the clothes, it is very good for watering the trees. We also make use of water for rinsing dishes. As much as possible, during summer, we don’t let used water do down the sink.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Living in the tropics, Hawaii we have a perpetual summer. There are times when it's more rainy than usual, but most of the time, it's nice. It can get up into the 90's though and it's so hot that all you want to do is drink iced water all day. We have a little backyard at my apt. where I grow aloe, broad leaf plantain, ferns, red ti leaf and a rubber tree that's now a bonsai that my Uncle that's passed gave my Mom, that we care for. I capture run off from my sink, not having any dishwasher we wash by hand, so there can be water run off, so we catch it and feed this water to the plants. The plants do well, considering that aloe needs a lot of water, so do my ferns that we use on New Years for our special mochi giving in our home for good luck and strength for the year. My friend who had her own home like you kept her washing water for her yard too, saves money and keeps her yard looking wonderful! Using recycled water is a good economical way to have a garden and have fresher air too saving money and not wasting, very good idea!

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Trees and plants do need extra attention every summer. I always use the water that's been used to wash rice and vegetables. I haven't considered using water that's been used to rinse off clothes and dishes as these may contain residual chemicals that can harm the plant and the soil. I don't let them go down the drain, though. We use them to clean the bathroom, concrete flooring on the garden, dirty kitchen, and laundry area.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille I too am afraid of the residual chemicals from the water that comes from rinsing clothes or utensils. I rather use the water that comes after washing vegetables and fruits.

Our AC leaks a lot so I use that water too for gardening and for mopping the floor. Since the watee is cold and its terribly hot here, hence it helps cool the floor temporarily too.

#4Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I am a bit surprised that you guys are using washing up water, or water that has soap and chemicals in it. My Husband was doing that for a while to a tree in our garden and it eventually died because of the chemicals. Plants don't like soap. What brand of soap is it you are using to wash your clothes and dishes? If I can get the same as you @Alexandoy@Alexandoy then it would be great to be able to recycle.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Reusing water and other resources is something clever that make us save money and benefit the planet, so it's just a matter of using the head. At the same time @janemariesayed@janemariesayed is quite right, as the water needs to be clean enough not to intoxicate the plants and trees. It's all about finding a balance...

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Some plants will wither during the hot summer if water is not supplied to them continuously. Some arid areas of the world farming is sustained by irrigation done on a very large scale. Water applied to plants should be clean good water one that qualifies for cooking. Unclean water, example soap water or water containing one form of chemical agent if given to plants will harm them. Plants growth will become stunted if they survive.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. We always try to save the water we used to water the trees, especially those water we have washed the rice and vegetables. We used to use the water for rinsing the clothes to wash the floor in the yard when our washing machine was out of order, but we do not use it to water the plants. Though it should be fine actually, I just try to avoid using it. :p

9. janemariesayed

Threads:
    Yes, thank you @to7update@to7update I am wondering if it is possible to use an eco-friendly soap to wash clothes and dishes, or in the bath. After living in the desert for 9 years I truly understand about saving the water and using it sensibly. Would eco-friendly soap have the same effect on plant life and kill them or would that kind of soap be a benefit?

While I lived in Egypt, I would take a bath and then I would wash my dogs afterwards so I would reuse the water. We all had baths every day and the water was cool enough to put them in after I had finished.

#9Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed Pardon me for not being very clear with used water. You are right, soap is a chemical that can harm trees. When I said water for rinsing the laundry and the plates, it’s the second rinsing because the first rinsing has a lot of soap in it. However, some trees seem to be immune to chemicals like the mango tree which is a sturdy tropical tree. It welcomes any kind of soap.

#10Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed Yeah, nothing like being in a place where there's not enough water so that we can realize the precious gift that is to have it. I try to teach that to my kids, so that they save water, but it's hard for them to realize that there are people who simply don't have any.

#11Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. janemariesayed

Threads:
    I must say thankyou @Alexandoy@Alexandoy as your post has worked in making me think about water wastage. Yesterday, I soaked my feet in bath salts which I do quite regularly at the end of the day while I'm watching TV. Before I got to throw the water away, I had a brainwave, thanks to you and put the water in my mop bucket!

No, I didn't wash the floor with cheesy foot water, but I just gave the mop an extra rinse out with the water. Another thing I could have used the water for was a pre-clothes wash. The bath salts would not have harmed clothing.

#12Apr 15, 2017
  13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes in summer the plants and trees do need extra water just like us having the extra quantity of water to quench our thirst. In our home, we use the water that is used for washing rice and vegetables. I am afraid to use the water from rinsing clothes as it would harm the plants. I water them regularly with a sprayer. We should put some extra efforts in taking care of our plants especially during summer. :)

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    That is a good way to save some money and avoid using all the water, especially in the summer time when it is more and more important. I kind of do this already but I think I need to step it up a bit.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Instead of supplying plants with contaminated water, water containing inorganic agents, in my view it will be far better to leave the plants alone. Bad water can stunt plants growth and even kill the plants. If left alone somehow they may survive till the next rain season. Polluted or contaminated water when applied to plants may as well harm their metabolism or serve as severe irritants.

16. janemariesayed

Threads:
    I also remembered when I was a child my Father had a huge barrel. It was connected to the gutters around the roof so it would collect the rain water. They called it a water butt. We used to use that water to water the garden when it hadn't rained for a while. You can buy these water barrells in some gardening shops and I've seen them in some DIY stores as well.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Tree seedlings really need water to sustain their lives before they are transplanted. But I don't think big trees need water for they have roots long enough to reach the water on the ground.

The used or excess water that we may save from washing the dishes, laundry is used to water my wife's ornamental plants. We also catch rain water for cleaning purposes or other uses.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Even I thought the same thing when I read the topic. That chemical may effect the plant. But as thread starter as already said that he is using second time used water for them. So I think it should be okay.
    Yes watering plants and tree is quite important. Specially during this summer. So better keep that in mind and keep them hydrate as they are living ones too.

#18Apr 17, 2017
  19. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, using used water for plants is economical and good. My mother used to water the plants at our house with the used water after washing fishes etc. They are very good for the plant. She would always water the plants with the water after washing the vegetables etc. However, we never used water after washing the dishes.

20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, plants don't really have an issue surviving on their own since the climate is tropical. When I do have to water them, it's not that often where I have to consider what water I use. If I had to do it every day, I would use used water too because it's more economical.