Using a webcam

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Gelsemium • Nov 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Believe it or not, I have never used a webcam until yesterday, simply because I had no need for it. I bought a really cheap one, more or less $25, plugged the USB in and there I was on the laptop... :) Do you use a webcam? What do you use it for?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This HP PC was bought as a set, and it came with an A4Tech webcam. I just used it to test record myself, but that's about it. I'm not really fond of video chat, so this webcam has been gathering dust for many years now.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I bought a few ones back in the day when webcams weren't standard in all devices, and I even bought some for some of my friends who didn't have them either. We used to use them a lot to hang out and talk when it was too late or we just didn't have an opportunity to hang out in person. We use webcams a whole lot less now that they are in all laptops, however, though I don't really know why that is. I think it's just because of the many other varieties of methods we can use to communicate now.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    For this you can see how old my laptop is, it doesn't even has a webcam. Either cases, I am not planning in using it a lot, but it's pretty great to see ourselves in the computer haha, I never knew I talk with a hand holding my head... :rolleyes:

5. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I use my webcam sometime for video chat but that's it. I have lots of family and friends in different states and web chatting,Skype, allows us to talk and see each other which is great. I have used my cam for a few video conferences and for an interview which was kind of cool.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop and as we all know almost all laptops have a built in webcam but sadly mine broke for some reason and I had to buy a replacement. I don't use webcams really but sometimes I need to for interviews online or just making some really cool project of some sort.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I actually use my webcam all the time, so I got a nice logitech C920 and have been really happy with it. I skype with my friends all the time and it's also great for having meetings with friends, studying late at night, etc. You can find a really nice one for as cheap as $50 and you'll basically never have to replace it.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I had a webcam on my previous laptop that I disabled. When I actually needed the thing, I tried to turn it back on and it kept displaying me upside down! So, I didn't disable it on this one, but I've never used it. I wanted to do the take a picture a day thing to see how I've changed over a year, but I'm so vain that the poor quality of most webcams simply won't allow me to willfully take pictures with it. Don't judge me. :D

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely use my webcam. Some clients of mine prefer talking via video chat. That's pretty much the only time I use my cam. Sometimes my friends would use it too and take selfies or groupies.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. And just like you it did take longer before I tried using a webcam. I only started using it when "Skype" was invented. :D And up to now, I only use webcam for Skype, nothing else. I don't even use it to take pictures to upload to FB like my kids are doing, just for Skype. :p

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop has a webcam, and I hardly ever use it except for Skype. In fact, for the past year or so I've not used it, since most people Skype via their phones now anyway. It's pretty funny that webcams have not improved as much in picture/video quality while smartphone cameras have advanced by leaps and bounds. I guess it goes to highlight the priorities towards the two devices.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, it takes me quite a while to join "new technologies" lol, I only do it if I really need to. In this case I haven't used it much, but it's always good to have it around, we never know when it will be necessary to see a friend that it's away for example.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most laptops come with built-in webcams. They are built into the lids, and appear to be little windows in the lid when you lift said lid up, so there is really no need to purchase a separate webcam unless quality is what you are going for. I never use my webcam, although it has been said that people should cover over their webcams because they capture pictures of you even when turned off. Spooky huh? Lol.

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop has a built-in webcam, but the quality is not up to the mark, so I have to resort on the external one I have installed. I mostly use webcams when I am working or testing a website while proving the live feedback at the same time.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though my laptop has a built in camera/webcam also, I have never actually used it. I wouldn't know how to actually. I am sure that I could Google it and figure it out though. But I am assuming that the quality would be crap. The only person that I would talk to would be my older sister, and a handful of friends. Other than that getting an external webcam/camera would be pointless.

16. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I have a webcam on my laptop, but I rarely use it. I think since chat rooms have been out and everyone plays games together online, there's really no need for a webcam unless you have a business meeting or something. I think it's great for things like that. Saves money on flights and it's more convenient.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh congratulations! I hardly use a webcam myself. The last time I did was for a freelance job interview. Also, my friends and I simply send text messages to each other or chat through Viber. Using webcam never occured to us. We're fine with our usual communication routines. It's the same for my family. Maybe once I get to work outside of my country, I'll finally see the need to use a webcam. As of now, I'm content with the status quo.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I've heard about that too and it's scary indeed. It seems that we need to have our camera covered at all times because people can activate it remotely... I don't have such a problem because I rarely used it, but I am not forgetting that.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I had a webcam in 1997 believe it on not. I worked at about 4 frames per second, but that was 90's technology for you. Apart from that I didn't use one until 2011 when I got a laptop with one in. I never really used that one either.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that's what I feel as well now that I own one, we don't use it that often because most of us doesn't do video calls, we just talk on skype or on the phone and unless we have a specific job that requires one, I guess mine will stay there for a long while.