Using an apron, yes or no?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 23, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I like aprons -- but I tend not to wear them because I find that they usually are bulky and get in my way. I have several - but unless I am doing some very messy cooking or I am trying to keep good clothes clean I do not normally use them. Plus with my baby I am constantly in and out of the kitchen and it is a hassle to get them on and off in a hurry.

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have two of them, but one has a sentimental value because it has printed on it a picture of me, the wife and older kid when he was really small, so I really like it. Apart from that image is comfortable, I mean, it doesn't get in the way.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I try to always wear an apron when I'm cooking, it just takes a second to put on and it possibly prevents me spilling something over what I'm wearing and having to go change clothes, which would be a hassle and takes much longer.
    It's also very convenient, I don't have to be scrambling for towels or gloves, I can just use the apron.

4. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, I always use an apron whenever I'm doing some kitchen works. Just like you, I can also get really clumsy and thus, an apron is a necessity for me. I also think that wearing it looks good on women, especially for moms. Well, I'm not yet a mother, just to clear that out. But I think it just looks beautiful on moms. I don't know where I got this impression but that's how I see it.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I never do these days actually. I did used to years ago, but I don't do much home-cooking now, and I don't do washing up in my best clothes anyway. I think you only really need an apron when you are dealing with really messy food.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that's how I feel as well, but only regarding washing dishes. For cooking as I said above, for some reason I don't use it, I guess that I don't get dirty cooking or at least it's not so common as getting wet when I wash the dishes.

7. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I use an apron during the winter time only. I do not know why but it may be the temperatures are so low that an apron is a way to keep warm. Once the kitchen overheats, then I remove the apron.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I have to say that wearing an apron in the summer is very warm indeed, sometimes I put one on without a t-shirt and it feels funny, but it keeps me from getting wet so I really don't care. My kids do laugh at me though. :)

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Apron-wearing is "exclusively for women" the same way that 'cooking' is :rolleyes:

If you're wearing it for a fashion-statement, more-power-to-ya; but people wear it for a purpose. If you're cooking for a dinner-party you're going to attend, I imagine you want to go straight from the kitchen to the dining-room without 'having to change clothes' in-between.

(Of course, if you would rather 'avoid looking like a grandmother' than 'avoid spilling food on your clothes,' that's your prerogative.)

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that is a funny statement mythman, I am guessing you said it as a joke of course. I really do not care if people see me with the apron or not, I am rather proud of mine because it has a picture of me, the wife and older kid when he was a baby, so I am fine with it. :)

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never use an apron when Doing the dishes!!! And I think they are so cute and very necessary sometimes, specially if there is a lot of dishes and if the sink is small... But I guess it's a habit nobody in my family ever had so I got that from them. In my house I don't think an apron is necessary just because I live by myself the dishes are not very significant usually, so I rarely get wet when I do them, however for the rest of my family it would be very necessary because I end up getting wet.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My wife doesn't use the apron, ever, so I guess it's just my way of doing the dishes, eventually I am too clumsy doing it or eventually it's because I wash the dishes on running water. Either cases, they are really practical for me I prefer to use them to getting wet and having to change my clothes.

13. DianeC

DianeCNew Member

Threads:
    This is an absolute thorn in my side and I'm glad to see this post. I do not wear aprons for some inexplicable reason because I have ruined so many beautiful clothes from grease splatters. Most of the time when it happens I am unaware of it then I will get dressed and look in the mirror and see this horrible circle of grease that didn't come out in the wash. Of course this has to happen when I am in a hurry then I'm rushing around to change and still trying to deal with my self over knowing this happens and should either change into something old or "wear an apron!"

I think of all the old sitcoms that the mother's would come out of the kitchen with their aprons on! So is this just a begone era thing sub consciously?

So, I need an apron and would wear one if I could remember to buy one.

Does this really have to go on a shopping list?

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, sorry to hear about that Diane, but in fact you have a solution right in front of your eyes, just get an apron. I do it because I get wet, but if I ruined clothing I would not give it another thought, I'd get it immediately. Some are pretty nice too. :)