Using Chemical Free Cleaning Products

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Sep 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kitchen countertops must be kept clean at all times. How you clean them though will determine how long they keep looking good. Since most detergents have chemicals in them which will damage the surface of your countertops or even shorten their lifespan it's better to use any cleaning solution that has a neutral pH or make your own. It will save you some money in the long run.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to use white vinegar to clean my kitchen. I'll use it to clean my tile floors, my counter top, my microwave. It's cheap and easy to use. I pour it in a spray bottle to clean the counters. For the microwave heat the vinegar in a bowl for about 2 and half minutes. Then wipe down your microwave. I pour the vinegar directly on my kitchen floor and wipe it down. No need to rinse and no lingering odors. I always feel good about using vinegar as I'm not adding harmful chemicals to my cooking area.
    Here's a great website to check out how else to vinegar.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I use a natural surface cleaner called Messy Bessy. I think its main ingredients are baking soda, chamomile and lavender essential oil. It deodorises and sanitises surfaces in the kitchen or floor. I also use it to sanitise my son's toys!

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve become a fan of baking soda, lemon juice and white vinegar for cleaning lately. Much more comfortable using cleaning products in the kitchen without potentially harmful chemicals, plus they work super well. A while back I actually interviewed with a cleaning service that uses all-natural ingredients and products, which was part of the reason working for them appealed to me. I figured if it’s good enough for them, it’s gotta be pretty dang great ;) Didn’t get the job since I’m better suited to office work, but I have nonetheless been slowly transitioning to using more natural cleaning products in my home since then.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the kitchen, our ritual is to clean thoroughly after using. But at night, we do a sort of general cleaning using a wet rag with liquid dishwashing soap and rinsing the countertop with another wet rag, this time no soap. For stubborn dirt, we scrub it with cleanser particularly on the granite. I don't know of any natural cleaning agent except vinegar but the kitchen would not smell good with it.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I'm allergic to a lot of commercial cleaning products I've always used natural alternatives and although I do sometimes use baking soda as well as lemons - I mainly use an all purpose liquid cleaner that I make from Soap Nuts – as not only is it totally natural and extremely cost effective as it costs almost nothing to make - but it does an absolutely excellent job of cleaning just about everything in and around the house - from washing dishes to cleaning the car - as well as being particularly good for cleaning jewellery, cleansing and detoxifying fruit and vegetables and removing household odors.

7. kbrad25

kbrad25New Member

Threads:
    I too use vinegar to clean my kitchen. However, I use mine with water and a little Dawn dish soap to help with the occasional grease. I have read this is considered a natural option, but if you want no chemicals at all, I have read some other options Pinterest. There's one that I've tried and liked where you soak orange peels in vinegar for 2 weeks. The website to check out how the process works is:

I hope that helps!