Using Citrus Peel?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Apr 12, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've used citrus peel before to help flavour water (I like to use orange peel particularly for this) and find they can add a lot of flavour. I also try to make use of seats, such as lemon zest in cakes or ice cream. I was wondering if anyone knew of any additional ways I can make use of the peels though? I find there's usually so much flavour there I don't want to throw it away and waste it if I don't have to!

2. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    I've read a lot of things about using peels for aroma. For example, I've seen where you can boil certain things (maybe orange peel and cloves) to help with allergies. There are so many useful resources for this on the internet. I recommend looking up "fruit peels for aroma" and seeing what comes up.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my - its difficult to know where to start on this one - especially as - because the use of citrus peel is a very common and long standing tradition where I live - my mind is awash with literally hundreds and hundreds of different ways in which citrus peels can be put to good use.

Either way - one of the first that immediately springs to mind is to make candied peel - which can be used in desserts, baking or eaten as candy - the latter being especially delicious when dipped in chocolate.

We also use them in

Marinades - for meat, fish and vegetables
    Vinaigrette
    Brine - when preserving vegetables
    Grated into both sweet and savory dishes - including baking
    Drinks of every description - hot, cold, alcoholic, non alcoholic and even in smoothies

and of course we use them in

Household cleaners
    Potpourri
    and even dry them for using as Firelighters

the latter of which is - apart from being a centuries old tradition - one of my favorite ways of using them - as not only do they ignite real quick and more importantly - are totally free - but they fill the room with a wonderful yet subtle aroma.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say i love the aroma created by citrus fruit! The whole room smells so fresh and fruity, i just love it. So I'll definitely be looking up ideas on how to use the peel as an air freshener because I just rely on that moment when I'm handling the fruit as I don't usually have to do anything further than that for the room to smell gorgeous. I'd be interested in seeing if there are ways of extending how long the aroma lasts :)

The other way I use citrus fruit beside besides eating it, is by rubbing the peel onto my face for a quick facial. I read somewhere that it helps with exfoliation. I leave it on for say 10 minutes, and my skin always feel silky smooth and has a subtle glow that I like :)

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    :oops: Just realized I forgot to mention that you can also - providing you have a reasonable quantity of peel

Extract the oil - which can then - not only be used for cooking and cleaning the home - but for adding to personal care products or even for making your own perfume

but more importantly - especially as vitamins can be somewhat costly - for making vitamin C powder.

The latter of which is easily done - by first drying the peels - either by dehydrating them in a cool oven for a couple of hours or by air drying for approx 3 - 4 days - then once dried - just pop them in a blender or food processor until fully ground and hey presto - Vitamin C powder - for free.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, you guys are very creative when it comes to using citrus peels! Another thing to do, is to put them down your garbage disposal to make the whole house have a great aroma. They can also be candied in a bag of sugar. There are other recipes for making candied citrus peels online. You can also use them with cloves for a pomade ball in your drawers.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I can't believe I forgot about candied peel and pot pourri! I've used it for both of those things before!

@albreeden@albreeden I'll definitely look that up as I have allergies myself. It could be useful to me!

@Lushlala@Lushlala I didn't know you could use them for facials so thanks for sharing that! I love the smell of them too so I'm sure that's a bonus as well! Nice smelling things near and on your face is always good!

@gata montes@gata montes Thamks for all those suggestions. How much peel would you recommend having to make the vitamin c powder? I hadn't thought to use it that way!

@Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon I bet they make drawers smell really good, especially orange and cloves in the winter. It'd be a warming smell I think! Thanks for the suggestions!

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    You're more than welcome.

With regard to the amount of peel required - there really aren't any set guidelines on this one - as not only is it possible to make the powder using any amount peel - meaning the peel from just one large fruit right up to ten, twenty, thirty, forty or more - but its fairly difficult to specify an exact amount of peel - simply because - the quantity of powder you get will very much depend on the size and quality of the fruits that the peels came from.

That said - if like me you are looking to make it in larger quantities - I generally do mine in batches using the peels from at least 20-30 different sized fruits - which if you don't have that many all in one go - they can be saved in the freezer until they've accumulated to the amount you want - as that way - using the rough guide of

peel (without the pith ) from five or six good size fruits = 25-30 g of powder

it virtually guarantees a yield of approx 100 g of powder.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @cocolgooh@cocolgooh....It's a pleasure! -and thanks for creating such a fantastic thread. It looks like citrus fruit peel is rather versatile, we're learning so much :)

@gata montes@gata montes....Thanks so much for that recipe on making your own Vitamin C powder. I love my Vitamin C serum and powder, but where I currently live, it's very hard to get hold of them. You can bet your bottom dollar, I'll definitely be giving this a try :))

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For drinking water, I put a slice of lemon as per the advice of my father-in-law when he saw our lemon plants heavy with fruits. But for orange peel, my mother makes the best marmalade that we used to call orange jam (you know kids, when they couldn't find the correct term so they invent). Now this angel cake with orange peel is getting popular that I see in parties. But I still have to know how they make it.

11. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes Okay, thanks again! How long does that last? And how do you usually store it? I have a feeling I might be making quite a bit of it too! :D

@Lushlala@Lushlala Yes we are! I love to find new uses for things like this!

@Corzhens@Corzhens I hadn't thought about making marmalade (it's so cheap here anyway I tend to just buy it :oops:) but maybe I should look into finding a recipe to make that too! Homemade preserves like jam and marmalade are always so much better than the store bought variety.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No problem - a pleasure on my part.

Generally speaking - provided its in an air-tight container - home-made vitamin C powder can be stored either in a cool,dark cupboard or the fridge - where it will stay good for up to 6 months or if wanting a longer storage time - in the freezer for12 months plus.