Using Filtration Systems

Discussion in Water started by Faye1232212 • Sep 22, 2015.

1. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a Zero Water filter and I must say I can absolutely taste the difference between tap and filtered water. To negate having to constantly use the filter, have any of you ever had a whole home filtration system? I ask because I think that is the next step for me as using just one filter on the Faucet is time consuming. Thank you in advance!!

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When we renovated our home my husband insisted on putting in a whole home filtration system and I love it. We used to use Brita water filters and it was fine but having the water on all the taps filtered is great. I can really taste the difference between unfiltered and filtered water and it's so easy now to grab a glass of water from any tap in the house. It definitely saves you time and I think money in the long run. The filters last from 3- 5 years so they are relatively inexpensive compared to using Brita filters that have to be changed

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is a good idea if you own your home, but it's not possible if you rent because you are doing something internal to the home. You could always ask the landlord to do this, but maybe some people don't have a choice and use the jug method as it's more practical and cheaper.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rent, and can barely get the landlady to fix anything here. I'm sure she'd be thrilled if I invested in a system like this, since it would improve her property, but that isn't going to happen. If I owned the home and had the money, I would definitely consider doing this. I would investigate how this would work in conjunction with an overall water softener, as maybe there's some way to combine them. The hard water here causes issues of build up in the toilets, drains, and no doubt the pipes, so installing a whole home water softener would probably end up being a money saver.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the area I live in the water is great. I drink it straight from the tap. There are areas that have such horrible tasting water I will not drink it, I only drink bottled water when I am not in my area. The water that come from the refrig is filtered but it does not taste any better than the tap water. We do have a filtered pitcher but we don't use it anymore.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a good filtration system is a good investment, because otherwise you'd be gambling with the quality of your water which is one of the most important things in life, and if not then you'd probably just need to buy it from a supplier of purified water or even worse you may have to get bottled water. Having this in your house certainly eliminates much of the potential added expense and also you can rest easier that your water intake is pure and clean.

7. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    The nice difference about the Whole Home Filtration system is you will start to notice a difference in your skin and hair above and beyond what you could imagine having filtered water would do. Your general overall heath will also improve from drinking water and preparing drinks that utilize water from the system. They are not cheap to install or maintain but I highly recommend the investment for anyone utilizing public water systems.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I think the cheapest system of filtration is homemade. This consists of a container with layers of filters alternating to clean the water. The top layer consists of coarse gravel followed by fine gravel. The next layer is sandy material followed by cotton wool. After water passes through these filters, the emergent filtrate is crystal clear water containing only germs and the only step remaining is to boil or treat the filtrate to make the water drinkable.

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    In my home, we use carbon filtering based systems to remove contaminants and impurities that linger in our tap water. In order to make safe enough to be drinkable. The purification process of this filter is known as activated carbon, and It works via a process called "Adsorption" , whereby pollutant molecules in the fluid to be treated are trapped within the pore structure of the carbon substrate. It doesn't work to filter microorganisms smaller than a bacteria though, such as viruses. For that you need to boil the water.