Using Honey To Treat Wounds?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Feb 25, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only recently while watching a documentary did I remember that honey can be used to dress wounds. I suppose this could save parents who've got kids that regularly get skin their knees. It's got properties that speed up the healing process. Since it has been used for thousands of years in the past, I'm sure it works quite well.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip, I have never heard of honey being used to dress wounds. That would be an inexpensive way to treat wounds instead of buying a band aid or medicine for it.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It wouldn't be inexpensive, I don't know about your country, but since bees are endangered the cost of it is sky high. However, on another discussion I read about people treating their allergies with honey, so apparently it does have beneficial healing properties. I also know they use bee venom to treat Multiple Sclerosis, so it can be quite helpful.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, I have never heard of this before. I must try it on my next wound. I would think that adding that sugar might lead to some kind of growth. Time to research this one! Thanks for the tip!

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about anywhere else, but the honey in grocery stores here, unless locally sourced, are not honey. So make sure you know what you're buying first. I'll be treating wounds as always without contributing to harming bees though.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    To be fair - although there is some clinical evidence - though not conclusive - to suggest that some types of honey - may have anti-bacterial and wound healing properties - in fact so much so - that a few licensed wound care products impregnated with medical grade honey - have recently become available.

Bearing in mind that almost all of the research to date has been done on medical grade honey - I too would advise caution - against smearing a wound with " fake " honey from the grocery store.

Particularly as - apart from the fact that most grocery store honey is not 100% pure natural honey - but a chemically concocted impostor - that not only doesn't - by any stretch of the imagination - contain any of the beneficial properties of pure natural unadulterated honey - but more importantly - as the majority of " fake " honey has been found to contain a wide range of impurities - its highly unlikely that it would be sterile either.

7. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Yes honey has lots of good healing properties, especially when combined with other herbs, it heals for both external and internal usage. We keep honey around, and use it as we see fit, because too much honey is not good for your sugar levels, all concentrated sweaters have some affect on the body, when used everyday, in high amounts, from my research and use.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard many times that honey is a good cure for wounds and bruises. We always have a bottle of honey because my husband uses it. Every morning right after waking up, he takes a teaspoon of honey to induce his digestive system in clearing the debris (waste matter). That honey saves him something because he doesn'e brush his teeth anymore nor gargle, the honey takes care of it. It works for my husband but I cannot say the same for me.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I am very skeptical of many "natural cures" totted these days.
    BUT honey has been a first aid staple in my family since as far back as I can remember.
    I noticed it does make a difference as a wound dressing.
    It's a time tested way of caring for minor lacerations, abrasions and burns!

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Honey does have wound healing properties in them that they have actually been recommended for treating bed sores in bed-ridden patients. Honey is applied on the ulceration after thoroughly cleaning them. One just has to make sure that the honey he/she is going to apply is real and pure honey because there are indeed a lot of fake honey products out there.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    It makes sense when you think about it. All that those Neosporin like gels and treatments are is all just goo that blocks the wound and protects it from getting infected, and I would think that honey would just do the same thing, and probably has some added benefits too. It would be stick, though, so that might turn some people off.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The more you live, the more you learn. I never knew honey could be used that way. Thanks for the tip.I will now have to keep it in mind, and I am surely going to try the honey for- wound-treatment whenever the need arises. I am wondering if it would be effective for probably first degree burns also

13. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    Yes, I agree honey is best for skin care. It's not only good for wounds, but also for natural skin care and can be applied directly cause it is safe for sensitive skin as well.

14. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Honey has anti-microbial properties:
    • It has high osmolality which prevents the growth of microorganisms.
    • It produces hydrogen peroxide once it becomes in contact with wounds which leads to some of its anti-microbial ability.
    • It has pytochemicals that has anti-microbial capacities. Manuka honey has very high levels of this.
    I have read though that the honey needs to be sterilised and laboratory tested first before applying to wounds. The honey has to have a high UMF rating as well to make sure that it can heal wounds and that it is safe.

15. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I have used honey to treat my dogs' wounds. I have three very active dogs and they get hurt jumping around and play fighting very often. The key is to not be scared to slather on the honey. Also dress the wound properly afterwards as they tend to try and lick it. It is very effective in curing gashes or open wounds.