Using Kitchen Appliances For Different Applications?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Mar 22, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any tips for using different appliances for other things? Well, not just appliances anything really. Like using a coffee grinder to grind spices or using two Tupperware Lids to quickly half cherry tomatoes. I think knowing the tips & tricks could save me some cash in buying crazy gadgets.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of people squeezing stuff like thawed frozen spinach out inside of a potato ricer. I suppose that would work, and it's probably a cleaner option than what I currently do, which is to wring the thawed spinach out in a clean white bar cloth. Sometimes after thawing the spinach, portions of it are really hot and can burn your hands when trying to do this.

There is also the trick of using two same size metal bowls, and throwing a bunch of unpeeled garlic in them, and put one on top of the other and shake them around vigorously for about 20 seconds or so. When you open the bowls, almost all, if not all of the garlic will be peeled.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of times I scramble eggs by cracking them into a mason jar. I am curious about halving cherry tomatoes with two tupperware lids. I have never heard of this before...please share!

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    So, you take two lids the size of, say, a sour cream container. The lids must be the same size. One lid is set upside down with the cherry tomatoes inside & the other right side up on top. Push lightly together & slice down the middle.
    ama6.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks! I will have to try this out. It looks like it will be much quicker than cutting each individual tomato.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a tip I read on Pinterest about using a cheese grater to grate a solid stick of butter on your potatoes or whatever so that it melts quickly and evenly.
    Apparently you can make everything, even bread, in a crock pot. There are recipes online for crock pot bread and cake. One blogger cooks soups and other things in her old coffee maker. Also, if you have a cake pop maker, there are savory recipes on Pinterest for pizza balls and other round foods that can be cooked in a cake pop maker.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That same tomato trick is great for cutting grapes in half, too. I know not everyone does this, but they're such a choking hazard that it's a good idea to cut them when serving to kids.

And the cheese grater tip is great for buttering toast! This way, you don't have to soften butter otherwise or risk tearing the bread by trying to spread cold butter onto it.