Using Left Over Meat

Discussion in Food & Drink started by lizzief79 • Sep 28, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    We are on a tight budget and I hate wasting food. I usually buy a joint of meat that is bigger than we need and then make a second meal with the leftovers. For example, if I cook a gammon joint, then I use the stock and scraps for pea and ham soup and dice the left over meat for a pasta carbonara. with a lamb joint, I usually make a lamb curry on the second day. What do you do with your left over meat?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    With pork, chicken, steak or shrimp, I will simply dice them up and make some fried rice with them. All I use is some minute rice prepared according to package directions, then I let it sit out on the counter uncovered to dry out a bit (beats having to plan ahead and make it the night before as most recipes recommend). Then I cook the meat along with some vegetable oil, push it to the side and scramble an egg on the other side of the pan, mix the two together, and toss in some scallions. Lastly, I douse it all with some soy sauce and mix everything together. Sometimes I may add a frozen pea and carrot blend for some extra veggies, or some steamed broccoli.

With rotisserie chicken or pork roast, I will also shred them up and toss with BBQ sauce for pulled (whatever) sandwiches.

Leftover shrimp, I sometimes like to dice it and just toss it with some cocktail sauce, then throw it in a wrap with some lettuce and black olives and red onion. A nice alternative from your usual mayo based seafood salad.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat meat directly, but I do eat those foods that are mixed with it. And commonly what my grandmother does is that she mixes the meat leftovers to other dishes, especially those that are primarily composed of vegetables, for a little flavor. I eat those dishes and they are really good, just that I still don't eat the meat. I think this is a very efficient way to save on some ingredients, and to not waste some meat that you still could get something from.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes we often by the whole animal unless it is very big like a sheep, then we just buy the leg. But for chicken we buy the whole thing. I usually boil it and then use the broth for soup. The bones can still be re-used for a denser broth as well. We usually eat the leg/thigh for dinner that night and then I de-bone the rest of the meat and put it in the freezer for later. Once you begin buying your meat this way, it is a crime the prices you are charged for the breast in comparison. All they are doing is butchering it in back and putting it in plastic. While I agree, convenience is sometimes worth the cost, for the most part it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on meat when you can do it yourself at home.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite way to use leftover meat is to make them into a fried rice dish of some sort. The great thing about this method is that you can be as creative as you need to be because chances are you'd want to adjust your recipe according to the type of leftover meat. If it's ham or something similar then it may be best to cook it Chinese style with some scrambled egg, but if it's roast beef, then I'd maybe just throw in some browned garlic bits instead.