Using Something Else To Clean Teeth?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Jan 27, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Believe it or not there are people who use bar soap to clean their teeth not because they want to save money but simply because they believe that bar soap cleans their teeth better. Doing some research on the net I didn't find much information about it.

I wouldn't mind trying to use bar soap to clean my teeth but can't because there's much I don't know.

Do any of you think using bar soap to clean your teeth is OK or would it come with some nasty side effects?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you should use soap to clean your teeth, as you might swallow some, and it wouldn't be good for you. I think there is a very good reason that people sell toothpaste for you to brush your teeth with, so you should certainly just stick to that if you can. I don't know why people would want to try using soap, as it doesn't sound very nice at all!

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This theory - I'd take with a HUGE grain of salt and stick with more conventional methods.

As apart from there being a very distinct lack of evidence - from a reputable source - to substantiate any claims that using soap to clean your teeth would be beneficial - the ingredients in a bar of soap are highly likely to be way, way more unhealthy than those currently found in even the worst of commercial toothpaste brands - on top of which - I honestly can't believe that it would be a process that anyone - would intentionally - want to experience more than once - especially as the long lasting soapy taste left behind - would be so horrendously disgusting that there aren't even any words to describe how bad it would be.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never heard of this one and quite frankly, there's no way I'd try it. First off, I'm sure there are some chemicals used in soap that are not suitable for long term use in this regard. Then there's also the taste element, I don't think I could stomach that. I would imagine those people have foul breath too LOL. I'd rather stick with my minty fresh toothpaste LOL I'd even sooner use baking soda over soap, and that's really saying something...YUCK!

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny thing is parents used this threat [I'll have you wash your mouth with soap] to stop their kids from using certain words which weren't deemed appropriate.
    That's what I'd find to be most off-putting. The taste. It can take a while to get rid of it and as for the chemicals, I think it would be better not to risk using something that will negatively affect you and force you to spend more money than you saved to get treatment.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that's too much if you use soap instead of toothpaste just so that you can be able to save a bit of money. Soap is not meant to be ingested in the first place, so you might even poison yourself if you do that. Toothpaste is not that expensive, so they should just buy it.

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    I know, @sidney...I mean, how much can you really save?! Toothpaste is very cheap, and lasts forever? They could just use it sparingly. Or use better alternatives. For instance, I don't like the idea of using baking soda exclusively, but if I really had to, I'd sooner go down that route before I ever considered soap...YUCK!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Baking soda tastes awful and bitter, I don't know why they say that it's a good way to clean your teeth and make it whiter when it tastes so awful. I think that if they want to save money then they can just buy the cheapest toothpaste available too.

9. Lushlala

Threads:
    @sidney...Oh really?! I had an idea it might taste horrible, but I never thought it'd be that bad LOL In which case, I probably won't bother with it, or if I did try it, I'd probably improvise and mix it in with my regular toothpaste. That way I'd kill two birds with one stone :)

10. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I'd stick with the normal toothpaste too, and use a mouthwash for good measure. There is no need to reinvent the wheel or experiment. I am a chemicals guy, and I can tell you that soap is not made for ingestion, it has nothing good in it. Whereas a toothpaste contains chemicals that are safe to ingest, because they know kids tend to do that sometimes :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it tastes awful, I think they're better off serving as ref deodorants rather than alternatives to toothpaste. I can't imagine how anyone can endure it's taste, lol.

12. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    Well, people don't use baking soda for cleaner teeth usually. They just do it because it makes teeth whiter over time. Sadly it also destroys your teeth over time.

As for people using bar soaps for their teeth... that doesn't even sound rational or healthy. Toothpastes have a special formula that is made for your teeth and contain lots of chemicals that are meant to protect and clean your teeth and mouth. I don't think that bar soaps would be effective at all. Not to mention their horrible taste.

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't try using regular soap to clean teeth. Your mouth does absorb some chemicals so I do not want to absorb soap through my mouth. At least with toothpaste it is specifically designed for the teeth and has been tested safe for the mouth. I have heard of people using baking soda and I have tried that as far as teeth whitening. Just stick to something safe you want to experiment.

14. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    I'd never try soap fot teeth cleaning. I tried some homemade receipts with soda and was not very happy neither with taste nor effectiveness. Now I use Salt Toothpaste by Veleda, it is not bad at all and does not contain fluoride :)