Using The Laptop Or Desktop Computer Without The Keyboard

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Nakitakona • Nov 7, 2016.

1. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Does it happen this to you? While you are in the middle of your work, your keyboard suddenly doesn't work. You have to finish work for the day. It will take time to secure a spare keyboard to complete your work. What are you doing to do?

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    You're lucky enough if your computer is touch based but if you mainly use mouse or the touchpad for inputs it's really difficult to do the punches of characters and it's very time consuming. This is the main reason why I always have a spare keyboard just in case the main one fails.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This happened to me and my keyboard still doesn't work. What I had to do is use the onscreen keyboard which is quite annoying and time consuming. Sometimes I wish it was a touch screen to get my work done quicker.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That has happened to my laptop. For some reason, my laptop's keyboard broke so until I had the money to buy a USB keyboard, I had to use the on-screen keyboard. It was an enormous chore trying to type with that. At least there is an alternative though.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    So far tgis hasn't happened to me but some keys on my keyboard have gone harder or I get the feel as if something solid is below them when I push them. I wonder what is happening to them. Any idea or suggestions for this?

These days there is a cheaper rubber keyboard available which is quite handy in the market.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It happened to me late last year. I was deep in work in writing a story for a contest when some keys in keyboard wouldn't work - letters A and D. I rushed to nearby electronic store and bought a wireless keyboard for $5. Are you surprised with the cost? It is a Chinese store called Cdr-King. Until now that wireless keyboard is still working.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that happened to me last year, and the PS/2 keyboard just stopped working. I thought that the PS/2 ports in the motherboard was malfunctioning already. So I just bought a USB keyboard and mouse. Many months later, it turned out that a reformat has solved the problem, since when I tried to use the PS/2 ports once again, they were working again.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I actually though this thread would be about touch screen devices, but I am still old school and prefer the actual keyboard. It could be a number of things, like @moneymania@moneymania mentions it can be the port malfunction that needs to be replaced for a USB device. Meanwhile we can always use the virtual keyboard on the case of a laptop, connect an external keyboard.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It happened to me once. Some particular keys stopped working and it was like hell working with that key board. Then I decided to follow a new strategy. As only 2-3 keys were not working I typed out the whole matter and obviously letters pertaining to that keys were missing. Then I copied an article from Internet and pasted it on another Word document. I again copied the missing letters from that article and pasted it at appropriate places. That was really time consuming and a strenuous job. That time I realized the real importance of a keyboard.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That's a terrible experience especially if you were in the midst of a very important task or assignment. I am not sure I have had my computer without the keyboard. I don't have onscreen keyboard would be terrible if my keyboard suddenly behave like that.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    If I had such a problem in my laptop I would certainly consider getting a new one, as that would be no longer practical to work. Even if I wanted to repair it, I am pretty sure that wouldn't be a good solution because these days hardware repairs are more expensive than getting a new computer.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If my laptop's keyboard become unusable all of a sudden, I'll try first to restart the laptop. If it's still not working, then I'll try to check the device manager to see if there are hardware changes. I may also try to update the driver if it's not updated. If the damage does not appear to be software-related but a physical one, then I may have to look around if there's a spare keyboard I can use. At home, I have a desktop so I can just plug the USB keyboard to my laptop. At the office, I can use spare keyboards or borrow from an office mate who may not be using his/her computer. Assuming there are no spare keyboards around, I'll either try to buy or borrow from a sibling or friend to finish my work as the alternatives of copy-pasting or inserting symbols are too time-consuming.

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually never had this happen to me thankfully. If it were to happen on my laptop, I would just use the touchscreen features. It would difficult and time consuming but I wouldn't have a choice if I had work to do. It would definitely be a good idea to have a spare keyboard close by so that if it does happen to your desktop you would still be able to get your work done in a timely manner.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    That seems a bit strange, but it also kind of sounds like things might be going that way at some point. I would like to have one of those two ways that fold into a touchscreen.

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    It has never happened to me. I don't think that I would be able to do anything without the keyboard. It will be really very difficult for me. I am not an advanced computer user and know only the basic functioning of the system. If the keyboard fails, I would be at a total loss. Typing on a virtual keyboard will be very time taking and difficult for me.

16. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    It has not happened to me before. But, I think if it ever happened, there is what is called display keyboard; keyboard displayed on the desktop screen that can be operated with the mouse. I could make use of it, though it will make my work to be considerably slow but I will still get some works done.

17. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    That problem has happened to my laptop several times.It became very difficult for me to work without a good pad or mouse.I couldn't do my work without the pad.In this situation I just try to restart my laptop to finish my important work.

18. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    Whenever I am using my laptop I always use an external keyboard. Using the built in keyboard of laptop will make unwanted markings and stains on the laptop itself. I also find it more comfortable when using a bigger and external one. I just need an extra space on my desk because my keyboard is a bit big. I also use external mouse when using my laptop so that the trackpad will not be over used. I thing if ever my keyboard stops working when doing some important project it wouldn't affect me so much because I can still use the built it keyboard.

I also use the built in keyboard and Trackpad when I am on the airport and travelling for business in another country.

19. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I always have a spare keyboard in my house, and this was not with the reason that the old keyboard can break anytime, I have changed my PC three times until now and every time I have bought one they sold me the PC with a new keyboard, that is the reason why I always have another keyboard in the house.

20. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Never happened to me which is a good thing. I have a laptop and a desktop and always have a spare keyboard just in case I'll be needing it. It's important for me to be ready with this kind of occurrences since I'm working from home and I can't afford to be bothered by these cases.