Using the phone vs online communications

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • May 8, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you still use the phone to make your calls or do you use free online resources to communicate with the people you want to? There are already quite a few free alternatives to the phone, so we can really cut our expenses!

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I still make calls. Unfortunately, I have a job where I need people to be able to contact me via phone quite often and I need them to see a consistent number on their caller ID when I call them.

I did go about a year without a phone, though, and used free options during that time. It worked out quite nicely so long as I wasn't calling anyone who needed to know it was me calling in advance. (People tend to ignore calls from unknown numbers because they assume they're telemarketers).

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    We just recently turned our house line off, because we had stopped using it. We still have our cell phones, because we both have jobs that require us to be able to be called in at any notice. If it wasn't for my job, I might get rid of my phone completely and strictly rely on online communications.

4. robin2508

robin2508New Member

Threads:
    I dont use phone for calls that often, communication apps are just much better. however I am still paying for a monthly plan with 500 mins and text although I rarely use them. I couldnt find any data only plan when I got my phone.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever call people on using my phone anymore. Most of the people I know have skype which saves me a lot of money because if they are online we can talk for as long as we want without worrying about phone bills.

I believe that in future, most people will switch to making their calls online when they're at home and use their phones sparingly only when they're on the move.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I still find it easier to communicate with many people through the phone. Not many people are always online waiting for you to use your online services. I personally think that using the phone is much more effective than using the online communication systems. I have once sent a message to someone and it took days to be replied.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate talking on the phone. Sometimes people call me and I talk to them but I'd much rather not. There has been rare occasions where I will talk for a while but only when I have my opinionated moments. Any other time I'm just listening and waiting to get off the phone. I as soon just not have a landline. When I get my own place, I'll probably just have a cell phone and people can text me when they need me to.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have landline anymore for the past month due to cost cutting, so my family just uses Facebook and Viber to communicate with our relatives abroad. As for me, I'm not fond of using the phone anyway, so I'd rather just text instead of make calls.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. We can only communicate online with the internet or wi-fi. But not in all places a wi-fi is available. Often a cellular signal is much more readily available than an internet connect is. In times like there is a cellular signal and no internet, I don't have a choice but to use a cell phone. And also the one you are trying to communicate with is not guaranteed to have an internet connection as well. He has to if you want to communicate online.

10. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the phone too, but my phone communications have dropped drastically because I talk with most my friends online and everything I need from them is done like that. Just if I am not at the computer I pick up the phone, but even so that doesn't happen too often either.