Using Topsoil

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Jun 5, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have some grass seed I have had about a year. I just bought a lawn rake, as I had two leaf rakes, but no lawn rake. However, prior to planting this I just put some grass seed on a bare space on the lawn without a spreader, as I don't have that either... and it grew very nicely. I have also put some on a bank, and I am hopeful it will grow. However, I have a bare space that is sandy and barren. I am doubtful any grass will grow there without topsoil. Is there a low cost topsoil I could use? I don't need a huge bag.

2. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    I actually just bought a bag of top soil at Walmart, and I actually found that I have better luck growing things in top soil than I do any other type of soil I do all of my gardening with it. It's cheap and gets the job done. I paid less than $2 for the bag, and it was a 40 pound bag.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually buy our topsoil at Walmart also, and for about the same cost as was mentioned; so it is pretty cheap. Our ground is hard-packed clay, and when it dries out, it is like a brick in composition. I grow most everything in containers that I use a mixture of th topsoil and potting soil for added nutrients.
    The dollar store sometimes has some good prices on topsoil and potting soil as well. We go to the Dollar General, and they usually have a pretty good selection for a dollar store.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never thought to look at Dollar General. I did buy my lawn rake there recently, and it was only 6 bucks, as opposed to most stores that wanted 12 to 30 for them. I live in the Piedmont area, which is a strange mix of sandy and clay soil. I will have to look at DG the next time I am there. I bought my potting soil at Dollar Tree. I just don't want some huge bag of topsoil that would be hard for me to deal with. I have a garden cart but I have to unbury it as it has a bunch of junk in there.