Using Up Left Over Wallpaper

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • May 16, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use the wallpaper I have left over in many different ways, including to cover notebooks, in frames as decoration for other rooms of The House (or for beneath a transparent surface I use to write notes on from time to time) and I've even used it as wrapping paper before when I had loads of wallpaper and no wrapping paper whatsoever! It also made for a nice gift bag!

How do you like to use up the wallpaper you have left after wallpapering a room?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I don't wallpaper rooms. I think it could be a very versatile material though. It sounds like you have thought of a great way to use it up however. I once had a downstairs bath that was wallpapered, but I didn't do it, it was something that the previous owners of the property did. Wallpaper is such an individual thing. I think I would rather use textured paint.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have used it to shelve my closet shelves or I use it for the drawers in my kitchen. Sometimes they don't match, but it is better than repainting them and no one will know that they don't match unless they open up all of my cabinets at one time, which is highly unlikely.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We haven't used a wallpaper yet for the paint is more economical in terms of budget. But my sister had her living room covered in wallpaper late last year. And the leftover wallpaper? It's funny but she had it cut in sheets of 1 foot which she pasted in the dirty kitchen (the space outside the house in the backyard with a roof). And since the leftover wallpaper cannot cover the entire walls of the dirty kitchen, the sheets were pasted like a mosaic. It looks nice.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I've never had any leftover wallpaper to find a use for - as I've never used it for decorating
    purposes.

As I too have found it to be extremely useful for lining cupboards and drawers and particularly the vinyl kind - as its wipe able - I do buy it occasionally and especially when its on sale - as not only is it much more durable than traditional lining paper - but at 50 cents for a huge roll - its way, way cheaper.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used wallpaper in quite a while, although from what I'm seeing on HGTV lately, it's coming back into vogue. Back when we had some leftover, we would use it in pretty much the same ways mentioned, to cover our school books, and to line shelves and drawers. I'm seeing some really pretty patterns and colors, although if I were to use it nowadays, I'd probably limit it to one accent wall. I spent too much time as a kid removing wallpaper to want to go through that again, although from what I have seen, there are newer and easier ways to remove it, as well.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'd never thought to use it to line drawers and cabinets but I'll definitely be doing that from now on! In fact I've still got some left so I may well use some more of it up that way! Would you actually paste it down in the drawers and cabinets or simply lay it down on the bottom? I could see either way working depending on where you chose to have it. I think it could work well for that purpose and I'm not sure why I hadn't thought about it before!

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does make good shelf liner. Personally, I would not paste it down. I would leave it loose. It will be much simpler to change out later. You could always tack down the corners to prevent slippage.

Another good option is covering cardboard boxes. You can create pretty storage that coordinates with the room. Also, I've seen it used (though haven't tried it) to cover trash cans and tissue boxes and stuff like that. It's a good way to update such things to match the new decor, while also saving money by not having to buy new ones.

As for frames, it works well as matting behind the picture too.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Whether you do or don't - is to be honest more a matter of personal preference than a necessity - as it doesn't really matter either way.

That said - as wallpaper usually stays in place without the need to paste it down - if cut to size - I generally much prefer not to paste mine - for the same reasons as have already been mentioned - its way easier to remove when wanting to either refresh it or replace it because its got ripped.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I can't believe I forgot covering boxes, @Zyni@Zyni! I even did this with some wallpaper a while back! Thanks for reminding me! I'll definitely have to try it with things like tissue boxes too as I would think it can make it a lot easier to match things exactly with the room!

I think I'll probably not paste it down to the draws and cabinets as it does seem easier to change it out, and even clean it out for that matter, if it's not pasted down. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was thinking it was you that made a bunch of fabric covered storage boxes (wasn't it?). So, yeah, wallpaper would work too, and it would be cute.

I always think I'm going to try the other stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I might try some things for my craft room. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing in there yet (besides trying to keep my husband from taking it over, ha ha). More and more of his stuff seems to be finding its way in there.

I think it would be cute for doing up a bathroom. Like, wallpaper one wall as a focal point and then make the bathroom accessories match. Everything would be nicely coordinated.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've make fans for wall decor using one roll and matching border or asked home improvement stores for discontinued sample books which was free. Also use to line cabinets and boxes, and hung some inside a closet. I used some as pictures an idea from a magazine. Most of the wallpaper that I purchase is from thrift stores very cheap.

13. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    It was me that did that, @Zyni@Zyni! I've got 10 of them sat on a shelf but I could definitely use more storage boxes! They'd look great somewhere like a bathroom - wipe clean too! Nice and matching too if there was a focus wall. I think they'd be great for a craft room as well because you could easily replace the covering on storage that way if you redecorated in there or if something got ruined in a craft experiment (I've done this before by accidentally melting something with a hot glue gun!).

I love getting free wallpaper or samples of it, @MrsJones@MrsJones! It's so useful and can be used in many different ways! It's great if you only need a small amount especially!

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can actually create a mural out of your leftover wallpaper. If they don't match, then consider it an "abstract work of art." We do not use wallpaper at home because we're big on paint but should we do so in the future and we happen to have leftover pieces that are small then perhaps I would use them as notebook or book covers.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember seeing shows on HGTV about using wallpaper for decorating books. We do not use wall paper in our house at the moment. A person can go to the home improvement stores and ask to purchase the sample books if you want to get a small amount of paper to use decorating.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't use wallpaper as well, but I think that what you have mentioned are the common ways of using up wallpaper, I guess. They can be great Christmas gift wrappers, come to think of it.

17. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I hadn't though of covering notebooks! I feel like a whole new world just opened up... I would usually use them in drawers and smaller spaces like thay but now I will definitely use it for textbooks. Unique covers and super cute as well!

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been a huge fan of wallpaper because it's vey awkward to apply, and can look horrible if it's not done right. Plus I just feel it's nowhere as durable as good old paint. I don't ever remember it being popular here either. But whenever I've been to those types of stores that sell stuff like that, I've noticed you can find really classy and gorgeous ones. -and looking at all these creative ideas, I can imagine wall paper being very versatile! I may not want it on my walls, but I'd be happy to try to use it for other things mentioned here :)