Using Up Plastic Grocery Bags

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Sep 7, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I realize that in some areas, this really isn't much of an issue any more. Here, we still get the plastic bags at the grocery store and stuff. I swear, sometimes they seem to give a separate one for every item. I tell them to pack it all in as few as possible when/if I forget to bring a reusable bag or just happen to stop without one with me.

I do find ways to use up the bags though, so they at least get some more use out of them before they get discarded. They actually work well for putting over your hand (instead of spending more money and buying those little disposable gloves) when you have a messy job to do. I also use them over the broom for knocking down cobwebs. Balled up, they work well as scrubbers too, and of course, they make good trash bag liners.

You can even make stuff out of them. I've seen everything from shopping bags and welcome mats to gift baskets made from plastic bags.

What do you do with them?

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    We use platic grocery bags to collect our daily recycling. At the end of every day, the platic bag and the recycling in it is taken and placed in the recycling container that the city picks up once a week. The bags make it easy and they get recycled as well.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut mine into strips and roll it up like yarn and then use it for making little plastic-yarn throwrugs. They are easy to make, and I enjoy having a craft like that to do in the winter time. When I have too many of them, I take them back to the store and put themin their bag-recycling bin. Both Walmart and Kroger have these bins and that way they are being re-used and not wasted.
    I like the idea of putting it iver the broom to get rid of cobwebs ! ! That is a wonderful idea, and getting the cobwebs off of the broom is always something that I hate. Plus, you never know when you might have also collected a spider along with the cobwebs.

4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I use mine as gloves from time to time too. I also use them as trash bag liners and to collect anything that needs to be recycled for the day.

Your idea to use them over the broom to get rid of cobwebs is fantastic! I'll have to try that.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because we now have to pay for each plastic bag here, I think people are a bit more conscious of how many they grab for their shopping, unlike before when they were free and they would just mindlessly grab much more than they actually need :) I always recycle mine and instead of buying bin liners, I use the carrier bags. I too agree with the idea of putting them over the broom to clear out cobwebs. It's not something I've thought of doing, but I'll be sure to do in the future :)

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've seen videos of people making them into "yarn." I started working on a welcome mat a while back, which I need to finish up (since the neighbor's cat peed on our good one and I just have a cheap replacement out there). If done right, these can be made pretty sturdy, which will save me money. I won't have to keep buying new mats when the little intruder takes a fancy to them; I can just make a new one.

I also want to make a shopping bag (from shopping bags). I just like the idea of it, and it saves money on purchasing bags. Instead of tossing them, they can become a reusable bag.

Have you tried "fusing" them together? I've seen tips on this for meshing several layers together with an iron (with a towel between the iron and the plastic). It's meant to make a sturdier "fabric" of them, so that you make things out of them that will hold up.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The plastic bag yarn (also called plarn) is great for making the little rugs, @Zyni@Zyni ! I use it along with a strand of yarn to add color to the project. They are totally washable and dryable, and last forever. We still have one that I made about 4 years ago, in fact. It was my first one.
    I have heard about the meshing of several thicknesses ; but I have not tried doing that. Our local thrift store has those heavier grocery bags for about 25 cents each; so instead of buying them at the store for $2, I get them at the thrift store. They carry groceries just as well as the new ones.
    In fact, I am going to get a few more of them and use them next spring as planting pots for my gardening projects.
    Here is the first one that I made 4 years ago.
    image.

8. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I use plastic bags for dumping my bag-less vacuum when I vacuum, I also use them for trash bags and doggie bags. I have crocheted a reusable bag out of them before, its sturdy.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Happyflowerlady, that's awesome! What a creative way to recycle such a nuisance. I'm going to have to give it a try :). I was going to mention seeing people making more durable, reusable bags out of their bags (by weaving), but I really like that rug idea. We use cloth bags, but we still have plastic bags from ages ago that we reuse sometimes.. now they won't be so hideous lol.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I like my bags packed light at the store because I have important uses for them. For one thing, dirty diapers. They work great for holding down the smell and keeping a day's worth contained. Then just toss them. Also, the kitchen is big and I don't like walking to to the trash can for every little thing. I keep a grocery bag by the kitchen sink and collect all my garbage in it for one day. Then put it in the trash. Great step saver.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here on Oahu most places give the old fashioned paper bags like Safeway, Walgreens and CVS. I like the plastic grocery bags for they are sturdy and you can line your trash cans with it and save you money. Walmart is the most gracious and kind store that gives us like before plastic bags. Some grocery stores stop giving plastics and you got to buy their plastics. We did not ask for the law, but got stuck with it. All the stores I shop at was using recycled plastic bags already, so I didn't understand why Legislature made it law about restricting the plastic bags etc. The law just made things harder for the consumer, but we got to shop to eat, so we adjust!

12. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    The grocery bags go into the tiny bathroom trashcans because they're the only one that fits. I have used them as gloves in a pinch but ti's kind of awkward and my nails always burst through. I also use them as temporary trashcans in my car when I have a long drive and can't stop to throw away the wrappers and napkins.

13. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady Okay, what you just showed me is so cool and creative. Thanks for sharing such a neat project.

#13Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A bag made out of duck tape and a plastic bag video was really cool. I also saw where a person took a large amount of plastic bags and used it as stuffing for a pillow, which I had to try, it works. I give our bags to the food bank to recycle.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I store them for ulterior uses. Where I live supermarkets use plastic bags to handle sold merchandise so it is given out plenty. I mostly use them to replace the garbage bags of trash bins or to pick up my pets stool.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nicely done, @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady. That is some impressive upcycling right there. What a great way to save money too.

So far, I have yet to make anything that is on that scale. I have crocheted pot scrubbers, which are great, but I have yet to complete any bigger projects. I started a few but have not finished. I am going to do so though (I can only crochet for short bursts of time). I may have to do more with the fusing and weaving stuff rather than the crocheting.

That is just neat though. Thanks for sharing it. Now, I want to make a rug.

17. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I use the plastic bags for putting my rubbish in. I also have two dogs and have to take out bags with me to pick up their deposits. I use them for this and any bags that I have left I use to take with me for shopping. Here in the UK we have to pay for the shopping bags now.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some supermarkets and groceries here don't use plastic bags anymore in order to encourage the shoppers to use recyclable cloth bags. But on occasions that we shop at supermarkets with plastic bags, we never fail to keep them for future use. In fact, we have learned how to neatly fold those plastic grocery bags so you can keep it and re-use it later with no hassle. Here is the video that we made for that purpose -

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used plastic bags for most of these things. Some great ideas here. The rug made from plastic bags reminds me of the rugs I have made from bread wrappers that my grandmother made many years ago. I have one on my wall, it is colorful, because bread wrappers have more color to them then plastic bags usually. You can find a use for almost everything if you look hard enough it seems, which saves money in the long run.

20. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    The supermarkets where I live always use plastic bags for packing groceries. After unpacking our groceries, we do not throw away the bags but put them all together neatly in one place to be used when the need arises. We use them for collecting trash in the kitchen before putting it into the big garbage container. If I have items to deliver to a family member or friend, whether it is foodstuff or other items, I would put the items into one of these plastic bags. We also have a couple fruit trees in our yard, and when picking up fruit, they are first put into a plastic bag to be brought inside. So these bags do have their usage. The same applies to items bought from any store other than a grocery store. I always keep the plastic bags in which these items are put.