Using Your Phone For Photography

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by chiofthenorns • May 31, 2015.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Who has tried using their phone as a camera? I have an old iPhone 4s, and its camera is really great. I take different photos every day using the 4s camera, and the results are spectacular. Share some of your pictures if you have them!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My phone's camera isn't that great. I've always focused on other features rather than a strong camera, but the right techniques and even accessories can help a great smartphone camera take incredible pictures. They won't match a DSLR or any camera that takes even decent shots, but most people would be impressed by what certain phones can manage.

3. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    I bought a Nokia Lumia precisely for the great camera it has. I know it's Windows phone and the marketplace doesn't have that many apps to choose from, but taking good pictures makes it worth it for me. I would really like to buy a DSLR at some point. I'm hoping for some summertime discounts.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think many people use their phones as a camera and because it's quicker, you can share within seconds it's preferable to a camera. I still like cameras, but my phone has a good enough camera and uploading to iPhoto is so much quicker or emailing it.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega Note and the camera is ok, I use to have a Virgin Mobile phone that took really good pictures and I do miss the quality of the pictures it took compared to what I have now.

6. Basinator

BasinatorNew Member

Threads:
    Phone cameras are and will always be inferior to a professional SLR camera.
    The quality is getting better and better per year, however so is the SLR cameras'.
    Sharing is quicker, as brought out by Theo, and so is getting your camera out. However, if you want quality (say when travelling), a phone is not the thing to carry around.
    Phone cameras are easy to carry around with you, but if you plan on taking pictures, get a good camera.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a little Nokia phone, nothing special and unsurprisingly, the camera on it is not brilliant. So I never bother taking any pictures on it. My husband has an iPhone that takes great pictures, and he's a keen photographer. His photos always come out so well. That's why I always like my picture taken by him, he very rarely takes unflattering pics :)

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing about phone cameras is that they're handy and less bulky compared to a DSLR. Of course, you can't compare the image quality but if you're going on a trip where you'd rather not to carry so much weight with you, phone cameras can be a good substitute. If your camera has 16 or more megapixels, you can guarantee that with sufficient lighting, it will be able to produce clearer images. I use a Samsung Google Nexus S. It doesn't work well at night but in broad daylight, the pictures look so vivid even though my phone cam only has 5 megapixels.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use it as a camera quite often now. Fortunately, the cameras on phones have come a long way and they're completely sufficient for casual picture snapping.

For professional photo shoots, though, a professional set of camera equipment is still needed, of course.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any digicams, so I'm stuck with using my phone's camera. I have owned VGA, 1.3, 2, 3.15, 5 and 8 megapixel phone cameras, and the low end megapixels can't take up close shots clearly, since I am taking pics of items to sell online. So I think a 5 or 8 megapixel cam does a decent job of taking pics if you don't have a digicam.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I always use my cellphone as a camera. It is the most convenient tool/gadget to utilize when taking pictures since it is fast and you could easily upload all those pictures on the internet without having too much trouble.

12. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I use my phone for a camera and it has a pretty decent camera on it. I have the iPhone 5c, and it's recently new so Apple made a pretty good camera with that phone. I don't take tons of photos with it, but enough. I think that the camera quality that my phone has is pretty good. My camera has times where you are able to take amazing photos, and sometimes photos that are also not so great. You will always get the best photos from a real camera, but these new phones are amazing, and it's amazing that they are able to take such good photos.

13. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Mine isn't that great either, but for casual photos such as trip souvenirs, then my phone camera does just great. If I wanted high quality photos of the places I visited, I would just quickly Google for some DSLR photos. Not that hard to find what you seek in these times, haha.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not much of a photography person but I have a close friend who is into it. However, it's not photography really but video. He is planning to make a short film for joining a competition with video footages taken by his iPhone. He said that his iPhone has the same resolution of videos taken by DSLRs and other movie cameras like GoPro. Let's wait and see.

15. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    My phone's camera is pretty good at eight megapixels. So I do take photos with my phone, usually selfies and other stuff mainly for my instagram and some times for my facebook accounts. I also have a digital camera with better megapixels ratio which I use when I'm on vacations etc.

16. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely do use my smartphone as a camera. I have 2 young kids and that's all I do is take pictures. My husband always gets on me about that because I don't just enjoy moments, I capture them, haha. But hey, someone has to get memories to actually look back on! I have so many I need to print off too they just pile up on my phone and computer. I however don't have that great of a camera. Sometimes it'll work really well. Other times it will take a few seconds to actually snap the photo, it will have a hard time focusing, and it will make my photos come out blurry. I need a really good camera so next time I get a phone that's going to be my number 1 thing I look for. I also should just invest in an actual hand held camera. I have 2 but they're old and not that great. They don't have that big of screens either. I need a brand new one that has amazing quality and can focus on moving things!

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    While phone cameras are good for pictures of day to day life, they're very bad when you compare them with pictures from a dedicated camera. I definitely use my phone's camera, but for photography you're gonna need a better camera.

18. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Never really bothered to use a phone as a camera. The quality is good, yes, but SLRs offer a much wider range of customizable options, as well as greater stability. You can get solid pictures from a camera phone, but you can get excellent pictures from an SLR. Especially when you know how to mess with the exposure and / or focus.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Phone cameras are getting better and better. The Samsung Galaxy S6 probably has the best camera but I'm certain that most phones have decent cameras that are much better than the old cameras of the 2000s and thereabouts.

For someone who wishes to use their phone as a camera I suppose they should be willing to pay a little more to get a phone with a really good camera. They wouldn't have to buy a camera.

20. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    It very much depends on what I'm wanting to photograph - but would say - that although my phone is capable of taking pretty good pictures - I probably take more pictures with my D-SLR than I do with my phone - as apart from the fact that photography has always been a hobby of mine and therefore my camera is generally close at hand - I find the photos taken with my D-SLR are a million times better than those taken with my phone - in fact as you have better control of differing light levels as well as many other aspects with a D-SLR - the difference can be noticeably significant and especially so - if you enjoy photography as a hobby.