Using Your Phone For Photography

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by chiofthenorns • May 31, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think cellphones really vary in their picture taking capabilities. Some phones have great cameras. and others not so much. I really think it depends on the make and model of phone and the way the camera is being used. I think if you have great results with your cellphone camera, by all means go for it!

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My phone is the only camera I use anymore. My Android doesn't have the best camera, but it does the job. The point is preserving the memories, I can adjust any issues with the final picture with a photo editor.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The camera on my phone is terrible. I'm a fan of Sony's Cybershot cameras and would have expected their Xperia phones to be able to take phots of comparable quality. Having said that, the phone os around 3 years old now and I refuse to buy another until it breaks down so there's every chance that things will have improved next time I come to buy a phone.

4. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    My Samsung camera phone is 3 years old, so the quality is not as great as it used to be. I prefer the photo quality of my Nokia 6500. If I want better pictures, I always turn to DSLR. They are made to create crisp pictures. Given that the lighting is good, and you have the techniques, I think pictures will look great on a camera phone, but an DSLR will always outdo it even on the same conditions.

I love to travel, but because I want to capture beautiful scenery, DSLR will always be my go-to. My camera phone is for other things while on travel.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have iPhone 5s and the camera is great. I'm not a professional photographer or anything but if you compare the pics taken from an iphone and android i think the iphone one would look better. I really trust Apple's product, they are solid, elegant and just pure perfection.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone 6 and it is the only thing I used to take pictures. It's not like using a professional camera of course, but it does the trick. The pictures have decent quality and even if you need to develop them, they still look good.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried the smartphone camera experience just yet because I'm still using an old Blackberry Curve as my phone. However, I do see some instagram feeds that are very beautiful and their pictures are taken on their smartphone. In fact, I'm thinking of selling my DSLR and use the money to buy a compact camera or a smartphone.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I specifically bought my Samsung Galaxy S5 when it was time to upgrade my cell phone, for the high quality camera it features. My husband and I recently started our family, and knew we would be taking lots of photos of our little one. Instead of spending money on a digital camera plus having another thing to carry around with us all of the time. Using my phone's camera is much more convenient, because I have my phone on me all of the time, no matter where I am or what I am doing. So far I have not been disappointed with the quality of the photos that I have taken with my smartphone. Also, I have found great tutorials online for using the many camera settings available on the Samsung Galaxy S5, as well as photo editing tips and features.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    While the quality has gotten much better on cameras built into smart phones, that still doesn't solve the problem that smartphones physically just aren't designed to be held and used like a dedicated camera. I can never seem to get shots that are well composed, and focused properly with my smartphone. Plus there is such a lag by the time you tap through several icons, screens and options before you can shoot, that I often end up missing a good shot.

I prefer to carry around my 5 year old Canon S95, which is tiny and compact, but has a larger sensor than most point and shoot models, and takes incredible photos. Plus it's not draining my phones battery when I am out shooting. It also has a ton of manual controls much like a real DSLR, despite its minimal design. And these are physical control, so you're not fumbling through menus on a small screen to change a setting.

10. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I always think of doing that for a hobby. I just have a terrible camera though. I dislike the camera on the Samsung Galaxy 3. I do not think it looks good enough for highest quality for a photo. I would like those really good cameras for photography. When I get another phone I need to look better into how the camera looks on it.

11. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Modern smartphones are good enough to be used for photography, casual photography that is. For me, the flatness of the smartphone makes it awkward to use in most situations. Even for selfies, it is difficult to use. However, if there is an external dock to make it more usable, then it can be used for more applications. I have a 25 MP camera and the Sony brand would be good for my random snaps.

Overall, phone cameras are great for hobbies, but definitely not good for professional uses.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do own an okay camera, but yeah, I still take pictures with my phone sometimes. I find that the pictures are just okay. The ones I take with my camera are much better, so if I need them to turn in or put up on my blog or for eBay or something then I'd prefer to use the real photographs.

Having a camera on my phone is definitely convenient though, especially for those candid shots or capturing a moment.

13. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I don't really pay attention to the camera when I'm buying a smartphone, basically because I don't take photos that usually. Although, I feel like people overrate the hardware, and a good camera app can do great things and improve the quality of the photos a lot.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not really into taking a lot of selfies. I do take a lot of pictures of my work and then share it on places like instagram. I think for the picture enthusiasts they will enjoy some nice features that some phones have like one of those iphones. I think if a person can't find an app they are looking for then they might make one themselves if they are determined enough. All I know is that it'd really cool what smartphones are able to do compared to flip phones.