Usps

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by addicted_buyer • May 4, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    To those living in the US and those who buy things from US sellers: what are your thoughts on USPS? Is First Class Mail really secure or do you prefer to always have a tracking number attached to your order? How long does USPS usually take to get your packages to your house?

2. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I think USPS is just fine and I prefer it over UPS. If my purchase is large then I always have a tracking number attached so I know that nothing has happened to it. I don't like UPS because they come late in the evening to make deliveries and its nice to have all your mail in your mailbox instead of it being split up. I haven't had any problems with USPS in the past either. In terms of shipping time I think they are just fine for the price.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I think usps is the most reliable of the choices to have packages delivered. My tracking number is always correct, and they are on time with your deliveries. The time it takes for a delivery is about 3-4 days, which is a respectable time frame. It's a shame that usps will soon be a thing of the past because of the Internet. I noticed people are paying most of their bills online. The social security checks have also been wiped out, and now there is a card that the money can be put on it electronically. This hurt the usps company because it took away some work for them, and they already closed down over 3,700 businesses. It's not looking too good for them.

4. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Tracking numbers are a good idea, but unless the seller buys postage online, there is a charge to add a number. I am an online seller, and overall I've been pleased with the service. Given the volume of mail the post office handles, they do an amazing job.

5. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I ordered a couple of things from the US before and they sent it to me via USPS (without the tracking number). I'd say it's a pretty good service. One of my orders was a video game, and it arrived in great condition. The other, a pair of sunglasses, arrived in really careful packaging. I was scared that it might have gotten broken from being sent from so far away from where I live, but it arrived without a scratch.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    USPS first class is a service you can trust. The time frame is perfectly respectful and a tracking number is not necessary although I always get one to be safe. I like to say that the reason for this is because a lot of the workers for the USPS are former military and they know to keep a tight shift.

7. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    I do international shipping I would prefer Fed Ex, They usually arrive a lot faster than items sent over thru USPS. Feedback from my customers within the US also prefers Fed Ex whenever we send them equipment.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I use USPS pretty regularly and so does my husband. He usually uses a tracking number because he uses it for business reasons. Only once has a package come later than expected. Every single other time, it was exactly on time.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Problem is FedEx charges a lot in fees and taxes, unlike USPS. I recently found out you CAN add an international tracking number to a First Class Mail package, so even though it may take longer, it will cost a whole lot less.

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    This. However, the tracking number given by USPS wouldn't be as accurate or as detailed as FedEx's. Regardless, it's still best to avoid the fees.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I am shipping. If I need really good tracking, I'll pay extra for UPS or FedEx. This doesn't happen often and most times I prefer to go USPS because it is cheaper. I have never had any problems using them but their tracking isn't the best.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    FedEx's taxes also depend on your country's customs office. If it's rather strict, you'll be paying a crazy amount of money for just getting your items a week before.

13. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes parcels are delayed in customs on international items. I've had a few customers in Canada find their parcels were held up by the customs process. I also had a few people in Italy send me detailed instructions on what not to put on the customs form, because certain types of items get "lost" in customs a lot.

14. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    USPS is the best for cross border shipping, as USPS and here in Canada, Canada Post do a fantastic job. The only downside is that the tracking numbers never seem to work for me though...

15. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:

I do agree with you on this that it does cost more to send via Fedex but on certain points it would be ok to pay more just to get the package earlier and to avoid the customs at a certain point. Don't get me wrong there is nothing illegal on what I ship but the customs here from where I am is unfortunately corrupt. Last time I sent a DVD player the custom tax was about 80 percent of the price of the device not to mention to cost and hassle just to claim them. On certain countries like mine expensive carriers like Fedex would be better rather than being stuck in customs. Plus there is that thought of the item being "lost" in customs.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    The LNxxxxxxxxxUS and LJxxxxxxxxxUS tracking numbers only work inside the US. You need to get a Registered Airmail tracking number for international tracking. That has an extra cost aside from the USPS First Class service cost.

17. Older Than Mud

Older Than MudNew Member

Threads:
    USPS has excellent First Class service. I sell craft patterns on Ebay and offer free shipping. Very few times has a mail piece not reached it's destination, even to my international customers, whom I do charge postage. Mailing the patterns in #10 envelope allows me to use a 45-cent stamp to the USA, and most of the time they weight less than an ounce. The down side, you can't print First Class letter postage from Ebay, and there is no tracking number. I let my buyers know all of this and they have no problems. I am sure it is because they get free shipping.

18. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have nothing but problems with the USPS. Either tracking numbers are missing, packages have gone missing that I shipped, and I do not alway receive mail that I should. Depending on what I am shipping will depend who I use. When it is something I actually sold, or is important i stick with Fed EX or UPS now.

19. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Even if you use Fedex or UPS, in the U.S. a lot of their parcels are sent through the mail. I go to the post office 5 days a week to ship, and they receive shipments from both private carriers every day. If you are sending to a rural area with Fedex/UPS, the post office is the final carrier.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm okay with USPS first class. It's only for really lightweight envelopes/packages and they seem to arrive fine, albeit it takes a little longer than other services. I send a lot through priority mail simply because the boxes are free and you can use flat rate boxes. I haven't had any real issues with shipping in a long time.