Valentine's Day Gifts For Kids (that Aren't Just Candy)

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Feb 6, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are some good ideas for Valentine's Day gifts for kids (especially little ones) that are not too expensive and do not amount to just handing them a ton of candy?

I think everyone should have a bit of a treat on occasion, but I don't think children need buckets full of candy for every (or any) holiday. So, maybe a bit of candy, but what else?

I found some cute magnetic letters and numbers (the kind you stick on the fridge) on clearance at Walmart for under a dollar. I got a pack of each and plan to make a magnet board, probably from a cookie sheet from Dollar Tree.

I think that will be a cute thing that my grandbaby will have fun with. I'll probably add a box of fruit snacks (real fruit ones) to the package and top it off with a little bag of Hershey's kisses. I mean, you have to have kisses from Grandma, right? :)

Share your ideas.

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I like your idea of refrigerator magnets as a gift for a small child. It really works for Valentine's Day or any special occasion for a gift for a young boy or girl. Here are some other inexpensive gifts without the extra sugar for Valentine's day for kids:
    • A new coloring book and crayons. The Dollar Tree has a wide selection of coloring and activity books for both boys and girls, including popular character coloring books.
    • Bubbles! Dollar Tree has a few sizes of bubbles to choose from.
    • Bath set: A new bath toy with a bottle of baby or kid body wash or shampoo can be fun, especially for kids who like to splash in the tub.
    • Stickers. There is a wide variety of stickers to choose from at the Dollar Tree and Michael's. You could even pair it with a small notepad or journal so that the stickers do not end up on the furniture or somewhere else they're not supposed to be.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All good ideas. These are some of my favorites for kids, and I love Dollar Tree for this kind of stuff. My grandbaby loves to color and play with stickers, and bubbles are always a hit. Maybe I can find some Valentine specific coloring books and stickers.

Good advice on a book for the stickers!

I'll have to keep some ideas in mind for Easter as well. Instead of a big basket of candy, I'll put a bunch of fun little stuff in there.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think I love giving cookies or cupcakes. I'll do some Valentine's Day baking with my youngest. I'm thinking sugar cookies with pink and red sprinkles and some red velvet cupcakes with pink icing on top and some cinnamon hearts on the top. My youngest loves to bake and we'll give the some cookies to his friends at his daycare and then the cupcakes to his cousins. He'll get lots of lollipops and chocolates from his classmates at school. This year for his classmates he gave out cards and Valentine's pencils and heart erasers. I agree they get enough sugary treats that you need to be a just a bit creative and give other things.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like fun. I'm sure your kids will enjoy it.

I was hoping to find some money saving ideas that don't really include sweets. I want to spend about the same as I would if I just bought a bunch of candy or sweets, but give fun stuff that isn't loaded with sugar. I guess going to Dollar Tree is my best option. Lots of fun stuff there for only a buck. Cutting costs and cutting sugar is a win/win.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is a perfect place for me. I happen to work with kids and we are always looking for things that are not candy to treat the kids with on Valentine's Day. Coloring pages are a big one where I work, and the kids really do love a coloring book if it is something that captures their interest, which is usually superheroes and things like that.