Valentines Day- TO Buy Gifts or Not

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by tulosai • Jan 7, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Do you and your spouse/ significant other celebrate Valentines Day? If so, what do you do about gifts? Do you set a spending limit? What kinds of other things do you do to celebrate?

My partner and I don't celebrate this holiday very much but we usually do have a dinner that is a little bit nicer than usual. I don't always understand the people who go all out for this day, but I guess it makes them happy.

What do you do?

2. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    It's kind of cliché, but I give some chocolate to my fiancée. We both love that type of candy, and she tends to share with me, so we're both happy.

It's selfish in a way, I admit it.

Maybe I don't do anything special because in my country we don't tend to celebrate Valentine's Day, so I'm not influenced by the customs of this holiday.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is usually a nature to give gifts that are quite useful and quite helpful. I think it is believed that they can really make your partner. Gifts are an integral part of one's living, I believe that they can be shared on valentines day.

4. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    My GF likes celebrating Valentine's day, so I don't really have a choice. I don't buy her gifts though. I get her a nice flower bouquet, with some red roses as she really likes them, and we go have dinner at some restaurant. That's about it and it keeps both of us happy. I don't like taking Valentine's day, or any other celebrations for that matter, overt he top.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I've no idea. Last year, I got breakfast and bed, a flower and a donut. This year, I don't know if we will have any gifts. Maybe just some special lil' homemade trinket. And a nice evening. That's really all I can hope for.

6. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think Valentine's Day should be a big deal, but it is nice to receive a box of chocolates and flowers. Our anniversary is close by, so I don't expect to receive a present on Valentine's Day. The hard part is figuring out what to get the guy, because flowers just don't make sense. I like to bake something or find some small gift.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on what you and your partner can agree on? Many people don't care to celebrate Valentine's Day with an exchange of gifts. They'd just prefer a quiet but intense show of love, just the two of them. I am a Libra and I love romance when I have someone who I deem worthy of such affection. So I would want to arrange something unique to that person's wants and needs. If that is getting them their favorite doughnut, then so be it :)

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do purchase a gift for my girlfriend on Valentines Day. If I don't, she'll kill me. Lol. What gift do I buy? Uhm, it depends on my mood. There was a time when I bought her silver... A time when I got her a pair of shoes... Then we eat at a fine restaurant.

We also give gifts to each other on Christmas, New Year's Eve, Anniversary, Birthdays... The cost is killing me. Haha

#8Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't celebrate Valentine's day. Sure it's a day of 'romance' but what if you have that in your life all the time? Supposing you get your SO nice flowers every other day, a nice gift every once in a while what more can you do on Valentine's day? That's why we normally don't get each other gifts on Valentine's day.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every day is valentines day! Well that's the spirit. We all have our own take on this. Just like Christmas. Some people celebrate it, some don't. Me and my partner celebrate Valentines day because, well, it's kinda fun. To see all the people showing their love to each other and to be part of that community of people, it makes us happy. Yes, we show love to one another every day but it's also nice to make valentines day extra special every. :D

11. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    To buy for sure. I read somewhere that the easiest way to be happy is to make someone else happy. So when you're thinking about searching for the perfect gift and spending all that money, just think: "this is actually making me happy!"

Love is like a plant, it needs constant nurturing to make sure it grows the right way and develops no complications. I can't bring myself to dislike any day that its fundamental purpose is to show an extra amount of love to the one you love :)

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    My Dad's girlfriend gives people a small gifts, like she bought my father a wallet and me some fancy eye liner and nice hand creme. Which still throws me and my Dad for a loop, because on Valentines Day, we give each other something sweet. Like, he gave me some of my favorite chocolate and I gave him a box of his favorite cookies. I felt bad for his girlfriend, because I gave her some strawberry/cheese mini turnovers from a nice, local bakery for Valentines Day, but since apparently she was on a diet, she couldn't eat them. :(

13. yellowlabel

yellowlabelNew Member

Threads:
    If they want to go out - why not to let them?
    You have your own way of celebrating that day and they have their own ;)
    My and my BF didn't go out this year and stayed at home.
    But it was also nice! He gave me... star from the sky. Can you imagine?
    He bought it in Kingdom of Universe.
    Now we're waiting for better weather to go out and find my own star at the sky!
    So romantic gift!
    Don't you think so? ;)

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never did, never will. Artificial holidays are the worst. If I want to buy someone a gift out of love, I can do that any day of the year.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm single, but it really depends on your partner. I would rather not coincide with the crowd during Valentines day, since your time will just be spent waiting on long lines and not to mention the traffic. If we were to celebrate, then it should be when there are less people in the malls for our convenience.

16. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm single but in the past a lot of it has depended on who I was with. I'm of the thought that valentines day is just a big business and a way of making money for the shops. It fills the gap between Christmas and easter.
    I have been known to splash out on various valentines day gifts though, like I said I think a lot of it depends on who you're with and what they think about it also.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't celebrate Valentine's day personally. I've never had a significant other. My family used to do little cards and chocolate for each other, but I just stopped after I moved out. I don't like how it's so focused on romance, as if romance is the only kind of love out there. It's just to hard to go against the grain and say it's about all kinds of love, because people will just misunderstand and then I might have to deal with someone thinking I am available when I'm not.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We haven't purchased gifts for each other in the one Valentine's Day we've celebrated. However, we went half and half on dinner and a movie. I'd rather just pay into a date night than buy gifts because it's far easier, and then we both get something equal out of the situation. I'm all for the classic movie and dinner date on V-Day! :p