Van De Kamp's Crispy (or Crunchy) Battered Fish Fillets

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Diane Lane • Feb 11, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't typically buy this type of product, because I like to buy the fish fillets unbattered, and cook them myself. I don't even batter them usually, I tend to cook them plain or with butter and lemon. When I was grocery shopping, I wasn't able to find a small to medium package of fish fillets, though, so I decided to buy these, since Lent was starting yesterday, and I wanted some fish in The House. I cooked some of them last night, and I was very impressed. The texture was the same as with a fresh or frozen unbattered fish fillet that I would get either at the grocery store, or a local fish market. The flavor of the fish was nice and mild, and the batter was really delicious. Also, the batter stayed crispy, but wasn't overwhelming. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone looking to purchase prepared fish fillets, and I will be purchasing these again. Also, the cooking time was around 22 minutes, which was perfect for a fairly quick meal.

Attached Files:

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am glad you liked them. I sometimes buy battered fish fillets. They do make a quick and delicious meal. I am not really sure if the fried nature of the fish destroys all of the health benefits from eating it, but I am going to choose to think it doesn/t! I will have to look for the Van De Kamp variety in the store. I think our store carries Gorton, but they might have Van De Kamp too.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Van de Kamps brand is one of my favorite frozen foods. The fish sticks are excellent for my grandchildren. The problem now is that I have to decrease the quantity because of the price now whereas before I would gladly stock up. The best way to cook them is in the oven as opposed to frying.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually do not buy the battered fish either; but occasionally, we will get hungry for that kind of fish and buy some. I really like the battered fillets better than just the plain fish sticks; but they do cost a whole lot more for what you get . I know that we have bought Gorton's before and like those; but I will look for the Van de Kamps when I am looking for fish next time.
    Our little neighborhood grocery has frozen whitefish, and those are what I like the best. They are almost like having a fresh fish to cook.
    The fish are about 6-7 inches long, and are just regular fish that have been cleaned. I use the heads for garden fertilizer, and batter the fish myself in cornmeal/flour mixture and then pan-fry them.......delicious ! !
    I don't know why the larger stores like Kroger do not carry these; but I have never seen them anywhere besides the little neighborhood market.
    My favorite fish is salmon, but it is usually really expensive out here where I live. When we lived on the west coast of Washington, salmon would often be on sale very cheap, but here in Alabama it has to be shipped in so far that usually the price is exorbitant .