Vanilla Essence As A Substitute For Perfume

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by littlewitch66 • Jun 10, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Vanilla essence has a lovely smell and is cheap to buy. I remember having used it as a substitute for perfume in the past and it's easy to pop a small bottle in your handbag. My partner says it makes me smell good enough to eat!

What do you think, would you dab it behind your ears?

2. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    Personally, I wouldn't use it as a perfume but I do know that it makes up one of the ingredients in a whole bunch of essences. There is just too much food associated with the pure smell of vanilla and I wouldn't want to walk around smelling like that. If I were to mix that vanilla with something else, then maybe.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Most definitely, and I already have used it as a perfume. I dab a bit on my wrists and it smells divine. I love the smell of vanilla and musk. I have even put a few drops in my bath water to give my skin a wonderful scent.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have not used it and I don't think I will use the vanilla essence as a substitute for perfume. I mean I love thta smile bit when it comes to using it as a perfume, well, I don't prefer it. :)

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I won't mind essential oils, the smell of vanilla essence is way to feminine for me. There are cheap colognes in the market. A great way to make DIY cologne though is to fill half a bottle of vodka with citrus fruit peels like lemonds , oranges and some flowers. You will then let it infuse for 2 weeks and you will have a commercial smelling cologne.

6. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed I never thought of adding it to my bath, I will have to try that. :)

@Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan Yes I wouldn't recommend it for a guy as it is rather girly :)

#6Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am a male and that vanilla scent would be something this more appropriate for the females.However, even if had a male friendly scent, I would not buy it. There are many colognes for men at varying prices so I will stick to one of those instead of trying a food or fruit scented item to substitute as a cologne.

8. Jora

JoraNew Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on that one. I like to smell 'appetising' but that doesn't mean I want to smell like food. I don't understand why someone would want to smell like something edible but I guess there is some appeal in that because I've seen deodorants that smell like 'chocolate.'

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought about vanilla acting like that (it's a "different" connection for me), but considering that I really like the smell of it and that it will save me some Money... I'll try it some day. :D

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too, I put a little vanilla in my coffee grinds to have a rounder flavor in my coffee, but not as a scent. I buy those $1 body sprays from Walmart. I find these body scents near the dental department where you'll find toothpaste, mouthwash etc aisle. I love these inexpensive scents. I love flower scents the best like rose petals. Too bad Rose Milk is no longer in stores locally.

11. littlewitch66

Threads:
    The first time I wore it was because I had run out of perfume but because I had such a nice compliment from a random stranger I wore it more often. I guess I just smelt good enough to eat! :)

12. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I would never use vanilla as a substitute for perfume. I do love vanilla a lot and I associate with cakes, pastries and cookies and so can never get used to smelling myself like a cookie or a cake. Although I do have a few sandalwood pouches that I place in the folds of some of my clothes, not all, because I don't want to be smelling like sandalwood all days, only some.

Although I do love the DIY trick that you have mentioned here @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan, I personally like citrusy fragrances.

13. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I never used a vanilla essence as a substitute for a perfume. I don't think I would use it in the future, it just not fit's me. A man smelling as vanilla it would be hilarious. But I have used that smelling oil from the priest as a substitute for a perfume. And no one knew about this and they even asked me what perfume do I use?
    When I have told them, they could not believe that I am using something so cheap and I smell so nice!

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Who would have thought? :) I have never used vanilla essence as a perfume substitute and I'm not sure this is something I want to try. However, I realized I can use it for other things. You can sprinkle some in your kitchen on Sunday morning to create that homely bakery smell. I might just have a small omelette or pancake on the table, but my kitchen will smell like Nigella Lawson just visited!