Vaping

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Gelsemium • Jun 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A trend that is becoming more and more know is vaping, for those who don't know, it's basically an electronic cigarette. Not only this e-cig is healthier than regular cigarettes, but they also allow us to save a lot of money. So, if you are a smoker, would you consider this? If you're not, how do you see e-cigs?

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a smoker myself, but my dad is a heavy smoker and just got an e-cig last month and he's totally loving it.
    He still smokes a few cigarettes but he went from smoking 3 packs a day to just 3-4 cigarettes! The cartridge that came with the e-cig is still lasting for a month and that cost him 5€, compare that to the 12€ that he was spending daily before.

I'm not sure how he's handling it physically, whether he's feeling any health improvements, I'll have to ask him and report back.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a smoker; but my grandmother was, and she died of lung-cancer. All I know about e-cigs is what the advertisers say (I might look online & see ...) turns out, there hasn't been much

. but I imagine it's something like candy---an addiction to it won't be good for you, but it won't kill you like the toxins in cigarettes will (although I don't know if vaping will give you the same dopamine-rush that nicotine will!)

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    From what I've seen there are no studies that's right, but at the same time I think that there are not many doubts that vaping is not as bad as smoking.

Strykstar, what a great example from your dad, how did he manage to pass from 3 packs per day to just 3 or 4? Is vaping that satisfactory or is he really making a big effort to reduce like that?

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    A bit of both actually, he is trying to smoke less but also he says the e-cig is good enough for 90% of the day. He says he sometimes needs an actual cigarette still to kill his craving, but mostly he just puffs on the e-cig whenever he feels like smoking. So instead of smoking through an entire cigarette e just takes a single puff and that's enough.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I wish my dad could do something like that, but at the end of the day his will to quit it's what makes the difference. In fact, if someone want to quit these days there are a lot of alternatives, but I think that vaping is the most effective one because it emulates the act of smoking, we even get to blow some smoke :) and it's the exact same process, much easier than when I quit, there was no vaping at the time...

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    How did you quit Gelsemium?
    If there was no vaping I imagine it was a while ago, did you use the nicotine patch or just try to chew a lot of bubblegum?
    My dad had tried once before but he didn't try to use any products to help so obviously he didn't manage it, hopefully it goes better with the vaping this time.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I was heaving some health issues at the time caused by tobacco so I simply quit, I threw my lighter and pack of cigarettes away and that was it. Sure, I needed to keep my mouth occupied and it was not with chewing gum, but with a lot of sweets, I ruined some teeth in that process, I should have gone for sugar free ones. :) So, I wish there was vaping at the time.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that e-cigs are a great invention and it can help wean smokers from smoking, but I noticed that it's not enough to stop chain smokers from smoking. I know someone who used that but stopped, and now he's back to his same old habits, smoking cigarettes several times every single day.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I now almost prefer these over cigarettes because the nicotine drops are even flavored whereas cigarettes just have the same taste in every stick. Also, the feel of it is not that far from cigarette smoke so you won't feel like you are sacrificing that much. The only problem is that most of the devices require a lot of maintenance and the ones that don't are easily broken to the point of almost being disposable. I hope more advanced ones come out to market soon.

11. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's my first time to learn about this word - vaping. :)

I use to smoke (a lot) and stopped when I got pregnant with my second child. I definitely would consider using/trying it if these e-cigarettes were invented during the time that I smoked heavily. But now, no. I'm not even curious as to how it taste/works. :)

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a smoker, but I have seen a lot of these e-cigarettes lately. The first time, I couldn't figure out what this guy was doing. It finally hit me that it was an e-cig. I thought it was pretty cool. I have never heard of the term vaping. I hope that they are being used by people to kick their smoking habit.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a smoker either, but I have seen how the e-cigs work. I think it is a great alternative. At my old job, the night stockers could never leave the store even for their breaks. They were always stuck inside the building. There is no smoking allowed in the building, and many of the stockers were smokers. When they first got hired, they had a very hard time not being able to smoke. When the e-cig came out, all of them got one. They were then abled to smoke and still be in the building.

14. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean. Several months ago a saw someone using a vaping pipe on a bus and you know, it looked pretty cool. It seems like there's a whole subculture that goes with it, smoke shops etc. I don't smoke, but if I did, I would probably want to try this. I like the fact that you can just pull out your vaping pipe in public, take a couple of drags off it, then it put away. Hopefully people are using these devices to really cut down on smoking and not just to be cool.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly.

You will rarely see someone throw away half a cigarette. They're going to smoke the whole thing.

But with an e-cig, there's no limit really....so you just stop when your craving is satisfied. This is often much faster than you might realize.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, not only we can manage how much I smoke, but also if we smoke the same amount as with a cigarette we are doing less harm to our health and we are saving money. So vaping is really a great invention that can benefit everyone, except the tobacco sellers that are already lobbying to forbid their use in closed spaces for example, how ridiculous can they get?