Vegetable Pack In The Grocery

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Sep 19, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most big groceries and supermarkets here have those chopped vegetables that are packed in styrofoam and covered with sanwrap. However, the pack has a variety of vegetables like a mix that can be used for the Chinese chop suey. We don't usually buy it unless we intend to cook that variety of broccoli, cauliflower and celery. In fairness to the packed vegetables, it is very cheap.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Bearing in mind - that not only does the consumer normally pay a premium for pre-washed, pre-peeled or pre-cut fruit and vegetable packs - as they're generally almost double the price, if not more - than the unit cost of buying individual loose produce - but also considering the fact - that as a fruit or vegetable once picked immediately starts to lose valuable nutrients and even more so - when cut, chopped or peeled and therefore by the time its been transported, has sat around on store shelves waiting to be purchased by the consumer - its unlikely that they would contain any nutrients whatsoever.

I would have to disagree - as rather than be the cheaper alternative - this is for sure one of the most expensive ways of buying fruits and vegetables and very definitely not value for money either - particularly as its highly unlikely that pre-cut or pre-peeled fruits or vegetables would have any nutritional value either.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try not to buy those ever since I heard they were just a way to sell discarded vegetables that were still good but might have a few markings that make it unappealing to the public. I only avoid it because it comes out to be much more expensive though and if it's cheaper option for some then I say go for it by all means. I think the biggest offender of this is baby carrots which are just rejected regular carrots that were peeled to make them more acceptable. I do still buy them from time to time if I don't feel like peeling but usually I'll just buy the regular ones.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in two minds about these stir-fry packs. On one hand, the unit price is such that it would be far cheaper to make your own. On the other hand, things like beansprouts, babycorn and mange tout are usually only available in large packs - you hardly ever see them loose. This means that you're forced into buying the larger pack which you might not always be able to use in time (especially if there's just one or two of you at home).

I compromise by checking the prices for one of these bags at all the supermarkets nearby and buying the cheapest option.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't normally buy these either, since as noted, they're often marked up a lot in price and on top of that, they're usually made from soon to be expired vegetables that wouldn't have sold on their own. However, once in a blue moon I will get one, if it's marked way down to sell right away, and if it has enough of a variety of veggies in it.

Also, some times, I really don't need a full amount of all the veggies in one of these packs - such as an entire bag of carrots, or a whole head of celery, or an entire container of snap peas... If I were to buy all the items separately it would probably cost me over $15, and likely wouldn't use them all up in time before they went bad. So in that case, paying like $3-$4 for a small pack of pre-chopped mixed veggies, enough for one meal, sounds like a better option.

Something I always keep an eye out for are the pre-chopped mushrooms, when they are marked down for clearance because they are turning brown. I can almost always save a buck or two on those.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As has been stated, there is no real benefit to buying food this way other than convenience, as you are literally getting nothing out of it aside from feeling fuller than before you ate it lol. The wholer the better for you and the sooner off the vine/tree/out of the ground the more nutritious. Oh and cheaper.. as has also been mentioned ;)

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Here vegetables or fruit that are already cut up and ready to use are usually much more expensive than if you bought them whole and did the chopping yourself. I don't think I would buy these vegetables all cut up as you can't tell the quality of the produce. I even find it's the same when you buy a fruit platter, sometimes the melon pieces are mushy or not ripe enough. I'd just rather do the cutting myself.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I like these packed vegetables. We have a small family just 2 of us and we like the fact that all different kinds of veggies are in one package that isn't too big. We buy the ones that are in plastic bags for salads or the mung bean pkg. I love the sales that Safeway has for organic spinach 16 oz. for just $5 already to eat. I usually spray it with a vinegar wash I have to make sure it's all very clean before we eat it. Love these cut veggies they have already packed and ready to cook or eat raw!