Vegetables or Flowers for your garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 27, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love gardening! It relieves my stress and teaches me a lot of things. I share garden space with my mom. I plant mostly vegetables such as okra, eggplant, and ginger. On the other hand, my mom tends to flowering plants. I don't like flowers because for some reason, I can't make them live. Which do you prefer in your garden - vegetables or fruits?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My garden is in sections of lawn, gravel, paving and shrubs. I am not very green-fingered. For money reasons, I have been thinking about growing some vegetables in the back garden. I think that the children will enjoy it too. However, I have no clue as to where to start.

#2Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer veges. My parents have had lots of veges in our old house and they usually eat everything even the roots of these plants lol. During rainy season, I normally taste the soup filled with whatever leaves in their. Ornamental flowers are only on the front of the house but in the backyard, i prefer veges.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think both is a great idea. The reason most don't put them together is because there are different fertilizers people use for flowers that they would not want for their vegetables that they eat. However, if a person gardens organically, then they don't have to worry about this. Some flowers can be medicinal and even eaten in salad. I have seen some of the bigger markets selling edible flowers in their herbs section of the produce aisles. So I think it is a great idea to grow both side by side. We have a type of squash that grows on a beautiful vine. It climbs up a stone wall and is surrounded by rose bushes. It is very pretty.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like planting both. I prefer to plant veggies because they grow pretty easily and I can eat them :) I often grow more than I can eat so I give them away to neighbors and family members. It feels good to give to others.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We have a few flowers here and there but mostly we grow vegetables - you can't eat flowers after all :p Most people I know that grow flowers do so in order to avoid work, it's no secret that growing vegetables is a little more involving. You have to dig them, water them and maybe clean the parasite bugs (and the list goes on). Personally, I'm all in favor of vegetables. It's fun work, you have fresh stuff to 'play' with and you save a little cash (or more, depending on what you grow).

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plant both flowers and vegetables. It's simple. Reserve the garden for vegetables only.

But if you do that, where would you grow your flowers? Here's the solution.

Fill up empty glass jars with soil. You can us enamel paint on them [the jars] to make them look like real vases. Plant your flowers in the vases and place them wherever you please. You won't have to choose between beautifying your place and saving cash on vegetables.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Vegetables, definitely! But I would also like to have some flowers in my garden. Majority of them would be of vegetables though, because I really like to eat them, and only very few flowers are edible. Most of them are for displays only, and I don't really like doing the thing, like arranging flowers and other sorts of that. But if I have to give someone flowers, it would be really nice to say that they were from the garden and I made them myself, the presentation and the arrangement. So, I think it would also be a great thing to reserve some space for the plants that produce great flowers, but not edible fruits.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely prefer vegetables rather than flowers in my garden as they are quite useful in kitchen. Many people believe that flowers look more beautiful in garden than vegetables, but I believe that as long as you plant the plants neatly they will look very good in garden.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like growing vegetables, flowers, herbs, fruit, different types of grain, such as quinoa, and basically anything that is suitable for the climate where I live, and sometimes even if it's unsuitable. I managed to grow broccoli in the tropics, even though everyone told me that it would be a challenge, as they prefer a cool climate. They turned out somewhat small but tasted delicious. I like to experiment and cultivate whatever wants to grow. :)

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have vegetables in my garden, but I also have fruit trees and fruit bushes on my compound as well. I have three different kinds of mango, papaya, pineapple, soursop, sweetsop, orange, grapefruit, lemon, avocado, banana, plantain, coconut, and lime. For vegetables, I am currently growing butternut squash, zucchini, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, onions, and tomatoes. I am also growing some beans. I like flowers, but I don't really grow any except sunflowers and calendula. My motto is, if isn't bearing any food or can't be used for medicinal purposes, it's not worth it.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like them both, I have plants indoors as well as outdoors. Flowers are pretty they smell good and makes the scenery pleasant to look at. Vegetables are for eating, I plant tomatoes and green beans because I do eat a lot of each and the best tasting tomato is one that is homegrown.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually like them both. They are quite useful but the entire development takes considerable amount of time. Other than that I totally love gardening. It is one thing that I usually enjoy.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have one, but I would prefer to grow flowers if The garden were in front of the house as it would make my place look great. If I had a back or indoor garden then I'd most likely want to just plant vegetables just because I think it will be equally just as fun and also it's a bit more practical since you could consume the vegetables and herbs at the dinner table instead of just looking nice.