Vegetables that are black thumb resistant?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Esperahol • Jun 3, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    My mother wants to garden like her father did, but she has an absolutely black thumb - any vegetables out there she can't simply murder? Or heck even some that will at least put up a fight (even if it's a fairly short one).

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    One of the easiest veggies to grow are radishes. They grow fairly quick and can grow in just about anything.
    Gardening is a matter of water, soil and light. Each plant has it's own needs for balancing the three. Determine what you are starting with (soil, water, light) and then talking to a local nursery will help you decide which plants will work in what you have and how to care for them.

3. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Radishes are easy as are pumpkins. They are really hard to kill off, but you do have to be concerned about different types of bugs and pest getting into the pumpkins.

4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I would try container gardening with tomatoes and peppers. Then have her branch out from there.

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I was going to say it seems like everyone can grow tomatoes and peppers! Is she only wanting to grow veggies or flowers too?

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the ideas about radishes and pumpkins (although something tells me the squirrels will get them). Sadly my mother has managed to kill tomatoes and the peppers bloomed, but didn't exactly come out to well.

7. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    This sounds just like me! I would like to start a small garden next spring, but I definitely want to start out with vegetables that are hard to kill. I will consider these suggestions when making my purchases. I know it's a relatively old thread, but was your mother successful with what she grew?

8. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe she can start with planting herbs. Basil and parsley are very easy to grow. She can also try oregano and thyme. Okra are very easy to grow too and so are sweet potatoes. I never had a green thumb too but I found out based on my research on the internet that as long as the plants are planted on the right type of soil and are given enough sun and water they'll be able to grow easily.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You hit the nail on the head for me. I don't know what kind of thumb I have but you better watch out for me, if you have any plants that you want to keep. Because they call me the destroyer detective. When they see me coming they say stay far away from my plants don't even look at them. And I love all kind of plants and wish I could grow them, but I guess it was not to be in this lifetime.

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The peppers did better this time, but Wal-mart tricked her in regards to her strawberries. I don't know what those things were, but strawberries they were not. Stupid squrriels got the tomatoes.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    When you grow vegetables in containers you have to use fertilizer, is she doing that? Also, is she growing varieties of veggies that are better suited for containers? There are specific ones you can get that can even be grown indoors. Why do you think it is that she hasn't been successful with her growing? Does she forget to water the plants? Are they getting enough sun? Too much water or sun? It's not just about the choice of plants, but the care.

12. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion peppers are one of the easiest peppers to grow. They just need a little water and sun and they will produce with no problems. I have had pepper plant wilt every other week and always come back strong.